Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Night in Jackson

To finish up our fun day in Jackson, we went to the Bar J for dinner. The Bar J is a chuckwagon and dinner show. THe facilities and barn where they do the show is just in front of their working ranch. I think they do a show 7 days a week from Memorial Day until Labor Day. I can't imagine having to get up a perform every night for 4 months, but they make it look easy.
Here is where they cook the steaks. Notice the barbequer? Everyone who works on the chuckwagon and dinner show also helps out at the ranch. The guys who served us the meal were also the ones who performed in the show later.

Here is Darren and I by a wagon they have in the yard to create part of the ambiance of the place. Darren decided to join me after I took the picture by the guy cooking the steaks. Come on, Darren. You know I like preppy types and NOT ranch hand types...


Here we are at the table with Curt and Cathy. They keep it pretty simple -- just picnic tables and benches. We played the card game 'golf' while we sat and saved seats. I think it is the only time I've come close to winning at golf...

The highlight of the night was the show. They do comedy intermixed with cowboy and trail songs. Their harmony is cool, and of course they are masters at the instruments. Sometimes they do Cowboy Poetry, which is always a treat. I've been a couple times before, but this time the guys had changed the act a bit so I didn't recognize any of the songs and Granny, a trademark of one of the guys, was SO funny. Dyslexic sheep -- Aab. Brilliant!

What I like about this place and show is how family friendly it is -- and clean! No worry about swearing or anything. If you are ever in Jackson in the summertime, try to fit them in, but remember to get a reservation because the Bar J gets busy! Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

I've heard the BAr-J Wranglers are good, but I'm never seen them. They come to Heber every year during the Cowboy Poetry days. Maybe I'll get to check them out sometime

Christi said...

Sounds like a fun trip! It's so beautiful, I haven't been up there in so long. Darren looks so much like his dad. ps-cute jacket.