Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Games We Play

I had hoped to post pictures of our finished tile job. We worked hard yesterday, but only laid about 1/3 of the tile. So, instead of our finished product, and inspired by talk from the beginning of the week, I decided to talk about my favorite games.

Favorite New Game: Ticket to Ride


This is the one Becca introduced me to last weekend. Love it! It's like Monopoly without the money and the chance cards, and the... Okay, it isn't anything like Monopoly except for the little train pieces. Special mention in this category goes to Hand and Foot which Courtney and Jeremiah taught Darren and I to play.
Favorite CSI Type Mystery Game: Clue
1 body, 6 suspects, 6 weapons, 9 rooms, endless fun. Don't even get me started on Master Detective Clue... I think Jacqui and I could play this continually for weeks during the summer when we were young.

Favorite Friend Game: Rook

This is such a great game to play with good friends. It takes some degree of concentration, but you can also chat while you play. Honorable Mentions for this category include Phase 10, Nerts, and Hearts.


Favorite Family Game: UNO

Not just any UNO, but Rencher rules UNO. If you've played, you know what I'm talking about. My second choice in this category is 31, which is a Casey camping staple -- three matches and your honor, that is all you get.

Favorite Party Game: Taboo

I think the buzzer has a lot to do with why I find this game so fun. It is also fun to see how people's minds work. Special mention in this category goes to Catch Phrase and my favorite camping group game psychiatrist.

Favorite Trash Talking Game: Settlers of Catan


So, pretty much any game you play with Darren, especially those mentioned above, there will be an enormous amount of trash talk. For some reason the trash talk is accentuated for me with this game. I love this game because you have to make a plan and then continually modify the plan to overcome the obsticles that others put in your way. This may sound innocent enough, but can get very heated when you don't get what you want...

Favorite Game of All Time: Trivial Pursuit

Does this surprise you since I like Jeopardy so much? I could (and have) play this game over and over. There isn't a lot of strategy, and I'm never the smartest at it, but I just like to see if I know the answer. Similar to this game and of special mention in this category is Cranium -- you get to play with clay, spell, AND answer trivial questions. Brilliant!

I hope you had a great holiday full of friends and fun! Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Good choices! Kraig and I love hand and foot--we learned it about a year ago. We actually brought the rook cards to SanDiego to play with everyone, but we hardly got an Uno game in, let alone something new!

I've never played settlers, but people talk about it all the time. You and Darren will have to teach us next time we're out there.