Thursday, July 19, 2007

How Will It End?

Isn't that a line from The Truman Show? Oh well, it totally applies in this case because everyone is speculating on how Harry Potter will end.

I laughed, and kind of agreed, with this article from the New York Times on the ending of the Harry Potter saga. I think Harry's death would be the biggest surprise AND would nix any future author from picking up and writing about the exploits of the twenty or thirty-something 'boy who lived.'

Not that I want Harry to die. As Damon Lindelof put it:

"She (J.K. Rowling) can’t whack Harry because there are rules that must be followed when it comes to how one ends a grand mythology. Good triumphs over evil. Hope overcomes despair. Paper covers rock. Harry wins. Voldemort loses. The Ewoks sing."

The Ewoks sing. I love it.

Just a couple more days and we'll find out. Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

Oooo! I'm so excited! Do you have your copy purchased? Or are you just going to pick it up at Sam's Saturday morning? I'm really going to go to the midnight distribution at our library :) Midnight? what am I thinking? I'll be up anyway, right?

Jacqui said...

I tried to look at the NYTimes article, but I didn't have a password :(