
I don't know how many of you are reading Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, but I'm at the end of the third book, Eclipse, and I need to vent. The book has me torn. This goes back to the whole 'I like love stories, but I'm pretty cynical about love' I mentioned in a Friday Five a while back.
***SPOILER ALERT***
The two main characters, Bella and Edward, are supposed to have this all consuming love and wonderful connection; however, during points in this book their 'love connection' was described as: controlling, an addiction, a drug they have to have, they can't stand being apart, etc. Um, that does not sound healthy to me. Worst of all, they kept bringing up Wuthering Heights and Heathcliff and Catherine's all consuming love when they talk about their relationship. Has anyone else read Wuthering Heights? It is a HORRIBLE love story! And yes, Bella and Edward discuss how unhealthy that relationship was, but B&E still end up together. Grrr... (in the last book B&E were compared to Romeo and Juliet -- don't EVEN get me started on that love story)
On the other hand, Jacob Black, Bella's best friend, and Bella have this great friendship that also develops into love during this book. Their love and friendship are described as: the sun in Bella's life, happiness, the life she might have had, comfort. Unfortunately, the love is 'eclipsed' by the Edward and Bella love situation. Plus, the changes Bella plans to make to be with Edward will forever separate her from Jacob. For those of you who have read this series you will know there are HUGE factors I'm leaving out about the situation, but it doesn't matter. I don't think you should have to give up something so great, like Bella and Jacob's friendship, for 'love'.
I really like how clean and non-smutty the author writes her books, but I'm getting to the point where I can't stand to watch B&E's destructive spiral. On the other hand, I am such a fan of the Jacob Black character that I can't stop now because I have to see what happens to Jake! See how I am torn? Anyway, this whole 'love discussion' goes back to my basic belief that love is not an all consuming chemical connection that dictates how you act, but a choice. People make choices about love and I don't think Bella has chosen wisely (nor am I convinced she even sees it as a choice). I seriously cannot see how the situation will end happily.
I should also mention that I've read other reactions to this series and book and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here about disliking Bella and Edward together. Please feel free to voice your opinion.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
10 comments:
Nope, I haven't read them, but lots of people are telling me about them.
I watched part of Pushing Daisies last night after I put the kids to bed. Jim Dale DOES deliver, but Wilford Woodruff? As in the 4th president of the church? Did I just hear incorrectly?
I actually haven't watched last night's episode yet, sorry! I had to tape it because of YW.
I liked the first two Twilight books -- they were good and definitely didn't produce as strong an adverse emotion as this one did. Also, I liked listening to them on cd better than reading...
Maybe that made the difference -- Because I listened to them on CD someone else put inflections and emotions into words/ conversations that I probably wouldn't have.
Still didn't like the whole Wuthering Heights thing...
Could they have said Woodrow Wilson, you know, the former US president? I totally used to get them mixed up when I was younger -- even more so because they were both 'presidents'...
I will read this blog in a few days. I should be done with the 3rd book by then. Then I will comment. I was going to tell you about this series. I should have known that you would already know about it. We are kindred spirits! :)
I completely understand what you're getting at! I don't know who to vote for actually, I think edward is great to Bella and I think Jacob makes her great. Either way I don't think Bella and negative attitude and pessimistic look on life deserve to be loved by either of the 2. Thats my opinion. She needs to learn how to be happy before she can bring any of it into anyone else's lives. I think the boys are blind! But i really do love jacob too!
Angela, I swear we are kindred spirits -- you still need to send me a list of your favorite books because I'm sure I'll like them!
Tammie, I totally agree about Bella -- she doesn't deserve either of them.
So, I listened to the last of the book on my way to the library after work last night and the CD was totally scratched or something so I didn't get all of the last bit with Jacob. I'm going to have to stop at a book store or something just to read the last paragraphs... Crazy!
You don't know me, I am a friend of Jacqui's and she referred me to your blog to get a list of good books to read. Anyway, after reading your post I couldn't help but add my opinion that Bella doesn't deserve either of them. By the end of the book I couldn't help but wish that Victoria had succeeded in killing Bella. That would leave both Edward and Jacob sad but not about having lost Bella to someone else. I guess Bella and Edward deserve each other about as much as Heathcliff and Cathy did.
I almost forgot, I heard that the next book with be the same story as told from Edward's perspective. Do you know if there is any truth to that rumor?
I know that Stephenie Meyer has the first chapter from Edwards perspective on her blog and it is GOOD! If you google Stephenie Meyer you should get there...
I haven't visited her blog in a bit so I'm not sure if she is actually going to publish Edwards side of the story. I think it would definitely be interesting...
Ok...so it took me longer to finish the book; I have been busy busy. So I am totally with you. During the 1st book I wanted her to become a vampire right away but after the second book I had totally changed my mind. Now with the 3rd book I really don't want her to be a vampire and I don't think she should walk away from Jacob! I am not sure when the 4th book will come out but I hope soon! I hate waiting!!!
Post a Comment