Monday, March 3, 2008

Books on Tape

Because of my commute to work and to sites in Denver, I listen to a lot of books on tape (or CD -- I still say book on tape regardless). Being in the car so much I started to notice that my favorite music stations played the same stuff over and over, and talk radio really didn't do it for me either (there is only so much NPR I can handle). I found my answer with books on tape -- they make the time go by and keep me interested.


Does this make anyone else think of good old mix tapes?

I just took a count of the books I've read since starting this blog and almost half of them were books on tape. So my question is, if you listen to a book does it count as having 'read' that book? I actually have this debate with myself quite often and I always come back to saying yes, it counts. Here is why:


In anticipation for a trip to Colorado, my older sister bought The Hobbit to listen to. My nephew was just little at the time, so not much of a conversationalist. She had read The Hobbit many times and knew it was something she would enjoy but not have to necessarily focus on while she drove. Anyway, fast forward to my nephew meeting his kindergarten teacher for the first time. She asked him what his favorite book was and he said, "The Hobbit" (at this point his family had probably listened to the tapes several times). The skeptical teacher asked him to tell her the story. He did, with enough details that the teacher knew he hadn't been prepped and completely shocking my sister at the same time. I'm not saying he could write a paper on it or anything, but he knew the story.

I think the same thing goes for me. I don't expect to write a literary paper on any of the books I listen to, but if I take something away from it than I consider it 'read'.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

8 comments:

Jacqui said...

I immediately thought, "Did she scan in one of her old mixer tapes? 'I have been blind' perhaps?"

I definitely agree about books on tape. I never would have made it past the first chapter of pride and prejudice otherwise :)

Trish said...

That story about your nephew is so funny. Great motivation for reading to the kids. :o)

LindsC said...

That totally reminded me of mixed tapes I just ran into one of my old ones with songs like Cyndi Lauper true colors and Whitney housten.

Heidi said...

I have this same conversation with myself all the time! We internalized the content of a book either way, so why must I always say, "Oh, I read that, well, I listened to it." Same thing, right?!

Also, James' favorite book is "The Hobbit" and I have yet to read it. He has been reading it to our kids, so I love that your nephew got something from it. I'll have to give it another try.

I think I am neglecting a great opportunity/service and need to listen to more books on tape. Maybe while I am organizing all my old mix tapes in the storage room I'll listen to The Hobbit!

Jacqui said...

I never knew that story about Connor. That's great. What a smart kid. tap tap tap SLOW DOWN tap tap tap

Logan and Ashley said...

That tape totally makes me think of all of the mixed tapes of various 80's and 90's songs that I used to have growing up. Too good, that brought back way too many funny memories just looking at a tape!!

Ginger said...

Brenda? Is that you? Ok, you are going to have to think WAY far back to remember me. Think RELIEF SOCIETY. Great to see you again. Great blog!

Ginger

LKC said...

What's the deal? No Friday Five? My week is not officially complete until I read Brenda's Friday Five...