Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's Friday, I'm in Love

It's Friday! Friday, Friday, Friday! It has been a very busy week for both Darren and I. It feels like we have been there and back again, but with no Dragon's gold to show for it! Okay, there were no big adventures this week, just work; however, I did learn some things about myself this week and I thought I would share them with you for the Friday Five. Here's the list:

1. I am a sap. Sentimental things usually make me laugh or roll my eyes. Case in point: during Biggest Loser Couples this week the four big guys on the blue team kept throwing the word 'brother' out at each other as they were decided who to vote off --'take care of my brother like he was your brother.' 'You are both my brothers!' and things like that. Oh my goodness it made me giggle. But during the vote I was completely taken off guard by the sincere things the actual brother had to say about his older brother being voted off. I totally got teary eyed. Who knew?

2. I am selfish with my mom's cooking. On Sunday she sent us home with some of her Hamburger Soup and instead of freezing it I left it for dinners this week. Darren was supposed to be gone for dinner twice during the week and I chose those nights to reheat soup. True, soup isn't Darren's favorite, but he does like my mom's Hamburger Soup. Thursday he came home early and caught me enjoying the soup without him. Instead of sharing what was left of the soup, I made him grilled cheese. Poor boy to be married to such a selfish wife.

My mom's yummy soup. The mushrooms, OH the mushrooms...

3. I blog to make my sister laugh. A girl I blog stalk discussed her reasons for blogging on her site this week. When I asked myself why I blog, my first thought was, 'To make Jacqui laugh.' After some thought I of course realize there are many reasons why I blog (keep a record of our family, stay in touch with people, have an outlet for my crazy fluffy thoughts), but making Bean laugh was my first thought. In Blink they talk about how your first frugal impressions of situations are sometimes the most telling. I don't know if this is what the author was necessarily talking about, but there you have it. Jacqui must laugh.

4. I have a victory song. This week my coworker, who shares my cube wall, pointed out to me that when I finish something and start another task, I hum a victory song. He said his kids do it, too, so that is why he noticed. Now, since he pointed it out, I realize I hum my victory song ALL THE TIME. It is just a little tune I'm sure comes from some movie or something. I'm hoping I can hum it for one of my friends and they can tell me where it is from -- I'm also hoping they won't mock me too much.


5. Family is more important to me than my career. I know some of you will think, 'how sad that she is only realizing this now,' but I have always intellectually known family is more important, it was just reinforced that it is indeed the most important thing to me. I was presented with a really great career opportunity this week. It would look great on my resume, but I couldn't help feeling like this opportunity would mean I'd be farther from my family -- geographic-wise and goal-wise, if that makes sense. As far as I know a decision hasn't been made, but I do know that Heavenly Father knows the desires of my heart, that they are good desires, and that he is there to help guide me to the path that will bring me and my family the most happiness.


Phew, that is a lot to learn in one week. The victory song alone was HUGE. I hope you have a great weekend.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

8 comments:

Jacqui said...

I imagine that your victory song is the rocky theme and you dance around your cubical with your fists in the air :)

Mission accomplished, Brenny. Mission accomplished. :)

Trish said...

Congratulations on the "career opportunity"! Even if you decide it's not right, it's still nice to be considered. :o) We got a major kick out of that Biggest Loser part too. :o)

Jacqui said...

Now Brenny, the only victory song that I could see you humming (although not a victory song, like said "Rocky theme song") would have to be John Denver and the Muppet's "Grandma's Feather Bed". Now THAT is a song you can really sink your bicuspids into...er at least that's what Jacqui does from time to time (cooking something phenomenal, climbing to the top of the rock wall, rubbing it in my face when she is right and I am wrong, when Andy wants to sit on mommy's lap to sing songs instead of daddy's lap, when Jacqui beats me to the toilet, etc, etc, etc).

Love Kraig I

Heidi said...

I must hear the victory song! And if you are thinking about moving I am going to FREAK!!! My friends need to stop moving. I guess I am selfish too.

Johnson Family said...

First of all, I am completely obsessed with Biggest Loser, and that Blue Team kills me. I like them individually (other than Mark, glad he's gone, he's a big poop), but as a big team, they are the BIG CHEESE!
Second, love you and Darren, proud of you for keeping your family and future family in mind. Way to be! The Lord will bless you for your righteous service and desires!

Logan and Ashley said...

First of all, I did not now that you know the Shumway's!! Second, did you think it was weird that your co-workers KIDS sing a victory song?? Just kidding, I think it is totally you. You are just so fun loving!!

LindsC said...

You make me laugh too brenda, I love your blog. Especially the song this week and you got me teary eyed reading your number five, good luck.

Michelle said...

if your victory hum is anything like brandon's audible "aha!" when he's found something or figured something out, I'll bet it's delightful.

here's to "fluffy" blogs. I'm totally into yours. :)