The lie I tell myself: I'm not that out of shape. I just need to tone up a bit.
The stark reality: I get winded doing 20 minutes on the elliptical, and I'm sore from pushing the stroller while taking a walk with Jacqui.
I think the illusion of being in shape comes from remembering my 20-something body that used to be able to go for a 5K run whenever I wanted. I want to participate in the Gift of Life and Breath 5k run again this year.
Last year I only ran about half of the race and this year I want to run the entire thing (and beat Darren). I now realize I may need to train. Okay, I need to train. Stupid out of shape 30-something body. If you are looking for a fun run/walk to do, check this one out! It is free to sign up, but it is in support of lung cancer research so you can donate the entry fee you would have otherwise paid.
And the people putting it on are some of the best people I know. Sign up!
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
5 comments:
We'll train together (and beat darren)! Really, Bren, you're not out of shape.
I like that, that is a great idea, and I think that I tell myself that lie too, my body is a lot different then it used to be but I think that it is a lot of times.
When is this race? I am planning on doing the Boulder Boulder this year and if this is before that it would be a good warm up race. By the way I don't think you are the only one telling yourself such lies. I myself fall into that lie and find that my goal of running a 2 or 3 mile to work out dwindles down to a one mile run with me about to pass out. No fun not being young and spry anymore!!
You can do it!!!! Plus you have your sister and you guys can keep eachother going. That sounds like a lot of fun. I have never been in a race like that before. You go Brenda!!
It's so funny that you posted this as I've been running again this week after my winter hiatus. I've been thinking the same thing--it's a little harder to get going now than it was a couple years ago. I might be up for a 5K in a couple months. :o)
Post a Comment