Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Reason 62

...of why I love books on tape: the accents the actors use for the characters. I haven't come across an accent I haven't been able to understand yet, so I guess that is lucky. My favorite accents so far have been South African, Australian, British, Irish, and Wisconsian. Yeah, that's right, Wisconsian.

I'm listening to a book right now that is set in Wisconsin on a dairy farm and I love it each time they say, 'WisCAWnsin' or 'bAAg' or 'what's going AWn.' Love it. That 70's Show was set in Wisconsin, but I don't remember the actors using such an accent. I kind of wish they had. I don't really remember hearing it that much when I was visiting my friend Tal in Wisconsin last year either. But she lives closer to a city, so that may make a difference.

I've always been a little awed by the northern midwest (in my book that includes Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Maybe Illinois if it's lucky). I don't know why. It just seems like someplace I'd enjoy exploring, you know, or living for a year just to experience the seasons. I've always said I need to live by water or mountains, and if I'm not mistaken they have water in abundance up there. Which state is the 'Land of Many Lakes'? Michigan? Anyway, Darren and I are young, so there is always hope we'll get to have such an adventure.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

6 comments:

Trish said...

I've always thought it would be cool to live somewhere else for a little while too just to experience something different. :o)

Jacqui said...

Live somewhere else? Just when we're getting everyone on this side of the mississippi?

Brenny said...

Everyone on this side of the MIssissippi? Is there something Robin hasn't told me?

Mac Family said...

Minnesota.. the land of 10,000 lakes, land-o-lakes dairy, the Lakers (before the trip to L.A.), and, I'm sure, many other lake-related niceties. I've spent alot of time there as I have family in the area.

Dan

Brenny said...

Thanks Dan. If I'm going to live in the northern midwest I should know which state is the 'land of 10,000 lakes,' otherwise I might REALLY offend someone.

I totally didn't know the Lakers started there. Cool.

LindsC said...

I lived in Wisconsin, I love the trees there and I did live in house right next to a lake, it was nice but I was young, it would be nice to try again. I love that accent too, I tried to keep it when I left WI but it didn't work :) and my family has that accent I love talking with them. That accent brings good memories back to me.