
Darren and I were watching Ocean's Eleven the other night and it made me think of movies that have completely surprised me. Okay, I will be the first to admit that it doesn't take that much to surprise me, but Darren is SO good at guessing the twist/end of movies (and is vocal enough about it during the movie) that even I have started making a game of it. Every so often a movie will surprise me, and I love it. Of course after the first viewing you know the secret and the thrill is never the same, but that first time... (Some spoilers ahead!)
The Prestige. We guessed the part where Angier doubled and killed himself each night and we knew he was still alive, but however many hints they gave us, we were still surprised that Borden was a twin and pretended to be one man the whole time. It did make me happy that his daughter still had someone at the end.
The Sixth Sense. Such a good story and the whole time Bruce Willis was dead! I know, I know, this movie has been discussed at nauseam, but how great was the ending the first time you saw it! He was dead the whole time!
The Usual Suspects. This movie is edited on cable and is shown often enough that I don't want to hear any static about rating. Anyway, at the end when the cop realizes that everything Verbal talked about could be connected to the bulletin board behind him, and the fax comes, and Verbal starts walking straight. Oh my goodness, so crazy! Was his whole story made up!? Was Kaiser Soze even real?
The Empire Strikes Back. Okay, I saw this one so long ago and have watched it so much since, that having Darth Vader reveal that he is Luke's dad is no big deal, but I think it was one of those movies where the ending shocked people. I wish I could remember having that reaction, you know...
Ocean's Eleven was like magic the first time I saw it, too. How could they possibly pull off robbing a casino? The S.W.A.T team. Brilliant.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
6 comments:
We just watched Ocean's 11 tonight. We too were speaking about the whole S.W.A.T. team thing. Such great movie. What about some of the other M. Knight Shyamalan (I know I spelled that wrong)movies? They all have interesting endings. Some better than others.
Darren and I are fans of all of M. Knight ShyamIeventryingtospellhisname's movies. Even Breakable, which nobody seemed to like because it followed the Sixth Sense. Anytime one of them is on television we find ourselves sitting and watching. They all have great endings.
That's so funny, brent does that too and I have soon found myself trying to guess outcomes. :)
What about that Scooby Doo ending on Wayne's World!? Ok, sorry, I'm not mocking, just trying to be funny, and yes, I did just watch WW! James too can predict the endings to movies. I cannot. Even to the ones I have already seen! Party on!!!
LOVE Wayne's World, you are not alone. That movie introduced me to Queen -- I still headbang in the middle of Bohemian Rhapsidy. And no, I didn't guess the Scooby Do ending either.
I LOVE Ocean's Eleven...I wish one of the sequels would have been good. I shock Tom every time we catch Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio-and I know all the words(with head banging of course), thanks to WW and a goofy 9th grade English project.
Post a Comment