Friday, January 11, 2008

It's Friday, I'm in Love

I am so excited about this Friday Five I can hardly stand it. Tomorrow, January 12th, is my birthday and in celebration of my birthday I'm doing a give-a-way! So, last month VH1 played 'the 100 most popular songs of the 90's'. As I've mentioned before, VH1 is my weakness, so you can imagine how geeked out I was watching the music videos of songs from high school and college. Anyway, my friend Christi made me a CD of songs we used to listen to in high school (in the 90's) and listed below are five song titles from the CD that also made the VH1 list. Your task is to tell me who sang it -- I've given you a few verses to help. The 'who sung' trivia is pretty easy so I also want to hear a story about one of your favorite 90's song, or your first concert, or some fun memory. The person who gets the artists right and who has the best 90's music story gets the prize. So, ultimately, yes, it comes down to who entertains me the most. It is my birthday afterall! And this (or something equally cute) is what you are all playing for:


Chip and Dip plate for entertaining


1. Two Princes
This one he got a princely racket
(That's what I said now)
Got some big seal upon his jacket
(Ain't in his head now)
Marry him, your father will condone you
(How bout that, now)
Marry me, your father will disown you
(He'll eat his hat, now)
2. My Lovin (You'r Never Gonna Get it)
Now you promise me
The moon and stars
Save your breath
You won't get very far
3. Losing My Religion
Every whisper
Of every waking hour I'm
Choosing my confessions
Trying to keep an eye on you
Like a hurt lost and blind fool
Fool
Oh no I've said too much, I set it up
4. Groove is in the Heart
Your groove I do deeply dig
No wall only the bridge
My supperdish, my succotash wish
I couldn't dance for another
5. Mr. Jones
I want to be a lion
Everbody wants to pass as cats
We all want to be big big stars, but we got different reasons for that
Believe in me because I don't believe in anything
And I want to be someone to believe

The give-a-way ends Sunday night and I'll announce the winner on Monday. If no one plays I guess I'll just have to buy it for myself. Happy Birthday to me! Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

13 comments:

The Coolest Allen Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Coolest Allen Family said...

Ok I want you to know this is all from my mind....no googling occurred here.
1. Spin Doctors
2. En Vogue
3. R.E.M.
4.
5.
I can see the last two songs video's in my mind but I cannot, for the life of me, remember their names. I even have #5's cd. Dang it!

I am ashamed to admit this but one of my favorite songs from the ninety's is "I like Big Butts" by Sir-Mix-Alot. I know, I know, I am a bad person. It makes me laugh everytime! I don't know if you ever watched Friends but the episode when Ross and Rachel sang that to baby Emma made me laugh so hard. It was classic!

My two favorite concerts of the ninety's were Depeche Mode and Garth Brooks. Two totally different sides of the spectrum, I know, but both fantastic concerts.

Shout out to "Ice Ice Baby" too. My good friend and I used to roll around town in her VW Rabbit singing that song at the top of our lungs.

I watched the Vh1 songs of the 90's too. I loved it! I have to say I totally disagree with the #1 song though. I get why they chose it; but I have to say that I am not sure that song would be so big if Kurt Cobain had not killed himself. I could be wrong....just my opinion!

Happy Birthday tomorrow!! I hope you have a rockin day! Thanks for the fun Friday Five. I loved it!

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Sorry it is me again...It is amazing how a hot shower makes your brain work again!

#5 is Counting Crows. Duh!

I am still unsure about #4 I think it might be Delight; I know it is some kind of silly dance club type name.

Ok...I will stop obsessing over this. I am a geek, I know!

Happy Birthday tomorrow...again!

LindsC said...

Okay Brenda, First of all, Happy Birthday tomorrow. (why can't I spell tomorrow, or maybe it just looks funny) anyway, I hope your bday is great.

And I have no idea who sings any of those songs but I do at least recognize a couple. :) sorry!!

Well, and you know me a britney spears. I went to her concert in Jacksonville, FL. It was really fun. My best friend Heidi and I went and just had fun. I really haven't kept up with britney or music at all lately, I know I should. Well, not the Britney part. :) that was kinda a bad phase. I need more dance music too. But my Favorite 90s music memory is.....my sisters and I loved *NSYNC (yet another bad phase) and we would dance around the living room dancing and laughing and just enjoying life and having fun.

P.S. You are too cute, I love all your blogs you have such good thoughts and ideas. Oh yeah and I ment to say to you that you should start a photography business I think you would be good at it.

Mac Family said...

Blast from the past!
I'm with Angela, I can't remember the fourth one and I'm totally singing it too. "I couldn't dance for another....I-I-I couldn't dance for another..Groove is in the heart yeahhhh." I don't know. But I think Angela may be right..something like Dee-lite..I think that's how you spell them.
1.Spin Doctors--no memories when it came out, but this guy made a cd for me and had that on there, and he was talking about him and the other guy was Dan. Now if Dan reads this, he's gonna hate this song.
2. EnVogue -- that's right I thought of a couple of boyfriends (ex's) when I heard this song. Dumb boys. But I rocked them out. I liked them. Wonder where they are now.
3. R.E.M. - no memories of them, but just that I like them.
4. Dee-lite? I love this song! It's so fun to sing and dance to and just SING to. Pretending I'm in the video with them with psychadelic background and hitting all the notes, well try to.
5. Counting Crows-I just thought the lead singer was cute. And the band is good too.

I would have to agree with Angela with "I like big butts" and "Ice Ice baby" Those are classics, for our time anyways.

And I'll hate to admit this, but when the Thong song came out...me and my friends really blasted that one in the car too. But of course..I never had one.

And another one that reminds me that boys were losers when I was in high school and that I really need to move on, well I guess the ones I was dating, is the song "Bills, Bills, Bills", by Destiny's Child.

I hope you have a wonderful birthday Brenda! That's too bad I'm sick. It would have been fun to celebrate!

And thank you for being such an awesome friend!

Mac Family said...

ok so i read my comment and it involved a lot about boys..please believe me when I say that my there was more to my life than boys. I carried 3 jobs at one time in high school for crying out loud! And number 2..I meant En Vogue..not the boys..kinda sounded like I was talking about boys...

Trish said...

I recognize the songs, but I am horrible, and I mean horrible about matching the artist to the song. Happy Birthday Brenda! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Mac Family said...

Nice songs Brenda. I can see my wife beat me to posting. I'm not sure the prize is really up my alley anyhow. The Spin Doctors are decidedly awesome. I knew all the songs off of "Pocket Full of Kryptonite" by heart. Even What time is it? 4:30.. it's not late.. nah it's just early which in the innocence of my youth I ignored as a drug reference. Some time ago I found the CD that the guy (who I prefer to refer to as idiot jerk-face) made and it quickly found its way to that highway in the sky reserved for cds made by idiot jerk-faces for your wife (to be clear.. at the time it was made she was not my wife).

Counting Crows are one of my all-time favorite bands. Mr. Jones was one of the first songs that I really fell in love with. After I bought "August and Everything After" I quickly discovered that Raining in Baltimore was sufficiently depressing to be my favorite song. And it was for quite some time.

That particular R.E.M. song always makes me remember scout camp. The older kids were standing around listening to it and talking about older kid stuff and I will always remember how cool and mysterious I thought the song was then. Now it's just sort of silly.. but I still remember.

As far as quintessential 90's songs go.. none can top EMF's Unbelievable. I also would put anything from the Black Crowes on that list.. especially "Hard to Handle."

Dan

Brenny said...

I'm so impressed with you guys for getting all the artist -- even without looking it up, which I figured everyone would. Angela I loved that you got the last two after taking a shower.

I agree about the #1 song. While I think Nirvana defined the grunge genre, was it the best of the 90's? I don't really think so.

Brenny said...

Lindsey, while I didn't really get into Britney Spears and N'SYNC, I think you should totally embrace the music. I completely admit to listening to New Kids on the Block...

Brenny said...

Melanie and Dan, you guys are great. Mel, I wouldn't have been surprised if you had tons of boys after you. I loved the Two Princes story. I'm glad I'm not the only one who associates music with boys I knew... Dan, I'm so glad I found another Counting Crows fan. Well, maybe you just like August and Everything After, I, on the other hand, pretty much think Adam Duritz is a great writer and can do no wrong...

Mac Family said...

No.. I think Adam's a great songwriter and have most of their albums. I'm a big fan. That was just the album that got me interested in them. I'm not even sure if it's my favorite of theirs or not.

Dan

Heidi said...

Well, that's what I get for taking a blogging hiatus, I totally missed this whole thing! Happy Birthday Brenda!!! James (believe it or not) would've been much better at this than I. I could mumble through the songs and then hit the chorus (!) but the artists are beyond me! I have to say, although I did not watch the VH-1 special, I CANNOT STAND Nirvana and it really irks me that they are from Seattle and define the whole "Seattle Grunge" scene. (I'm a little sensitive about that whole thing, sorry!) Ok, I totally remember the first time I heard New Kids on the Block, are they even 90's, maybe late 80's, I'm old, remember!? I was on my way to a fireside (remember those?) at my friend's house and it came on the radio on the way there. I came bursting in the house and announced that I had just heard the best song ever!!! I know I really set the tone for the evening. Anyway, I was giddy over this song and tried to sing the "oh-oh-uh-oh-oh"'s for everyone so they could hear just how "rad" this song was! I have lots of other music memories, um, I own the movie Cool As Ice. Yeah. We need to have a movie night with that, baby! "Drop the zero and get with the hero." Ok, I need to go dig up some cassette tapes! Thanks Brenda!!!