Friday, January 25, 2008

It's Friday, I'm in Love

Last Friday my list consisted of little bits of happiness from the week. In stark comparison, this week we had a few 'Oh Man!' moments. However yucky they may seem, they make a perfect Friday Five. Here's the list!


Oh Man #1. I burned my forehead with the curling iron on Monday morning. Honestly, this happens about every 6 to 8 months, but usually I get the middle of my forehead and not to the side. Is there actually a difference to the placement of the burn? Yes, as it turns out. Apparently I mess with my hair (and thus forehead) on this side of my face more than the middle of my forehead, because the burn has been rubbed RAW. Or maybe it was because I was wearing an itchy wool hat all day Tuesday... Whatever, it still hurts.


Does anyone else think this picture makes my forehead look HUGE?

Oh Man #2. So, in our backyard we have dogs on all three sides of, admittedly, fences that are not in the greatest shape. Wednesday when Darren got home Bailey didn't come out to meet him. Our neighbor to the east, outside with his dog Champ, mentioned briefly that he had seen Bailey in his yard earlier. What? Shortly thereafter our neighbor to the west came over to tell us Bailey was in his yard playing with his dogs. Darren found that two holes had been busted between the three yards. DOH! Darren patched the holes with some extra boards, but I think you can guess what tops our list for outdoor improvements in the spring.


Oh Man #3. I've been listening to Anyone Out There? by Marian Keyes on my way to and from work for the past week. The description on the back made it seem like a mystery: 'Anna wakes up in Ireland at her parents house with a broken arm, multiple scars, and a dislocated knee, and can't remember how she got there. Her husband is also missing. The only way Anna can think to pick up the pieces and find him is to go back to New York where it all started.' That is paraphrasing of course, but you can see where it led me. I was thinking maybe the mob had her husband and she had to spring him, maybe he had amnesia and didn't know who he was, I even thought maybe he beat up Anna and was ashamed. No, he's dead. He died in a horrific traffic accident that I got to listen to on my way to work Thursday morning. It was the biggest 'GOTCHA!' I was practically crying on my way to work. You don't do that to a girl! So, that happened on tape 4 out of 9. What else can this book have in it but grief management and her finding love again? Um, no thanks. I'd stick around, but honestly it's been ruined for me.


Oh Man #4. Darren had a soccer game last night and they lost. Darren is the red blur in the picture. I couldn't get a good action shot. Anyway, the team they played was relentless - I guess the matching lime green shirts should have been a tip off. Our red team played hard but couldn't swing it to their favor. Here is a picture of one casualty -- Darren's knee. The turf was rough. (Close your eyes if you have a weak stomach!)


Oh Man #5. Okay, I can't leave this Friday Five on a negative note, so this is a positive Oh Man. Tomorrow Wyoming plays CSU in Laramie. I love Saturday games, and while the Pokes have had a rough start to the conference season, I have my hopes that they can pull out the win against CSU. Check back because this Oh Man might turn negative. Keep your fingers crossed!

Please believe me when I say, I'm not complaining about this week. I like being kept on my toes. Except for the book. It is SO going back to the library. Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

6 comments:

wyomingerica said...

Fun post you always do a great job. Darren's knee is gross, I had to scrole up so I didn't have to see it. Go Pokes, but who knows.

Brenny said...

Did it make you 'choke up?' :) It made me kind of ill, but it is just a rug burn.

Jacqui said...

Naw, that's nothing.

So you don't recommend the book?

When are we going to sew again?

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Ok, I have to share this with you....when I saw the picture of your forhead I immediatly thought "that picture makes her forhead look huge" then I read your caption below it and laughed out loud! I have seen you in person, therefore I know you do not (at all!) have a large forhead. If it makes you feel better that picture of Darren's knee looks huge too! ;)

Brenny said...

That does make me feel better Angela! Thanks.

Heidi said...

Re: Oh man #1. I noticed your burn last night and immediately recognized it as a curling iron mishap as I have had a few of those myself, but I neglected to mention it as I was distracted by Oh man #4. Valiant effort boys, valiant effort.