Tuesday, August 19, 2008

School Daze

So, I hear school is starting. Actually, it is hard to miss since all the Young Women and Young Men are talking about it, not to mention most of my friends with elementary school age kiddos.

My friend Christi posted about her own anxieties about starting school and how she hoped she didn't pass it along to her children. Then she chronicled her oldest's traumatic first day of school. Poor guy!

It got me thinking. Was I ever nervous to start school?

It wasn't until I was in high school that I realized I had nightmares at the same time every year, about 1 to 2 weeks before school started.

They were just your garden variety, 'I forgot I had a test' or 'When did I sign up for Chinese?' or 'Why did I stop going to calculus?' dreams. The calculus one still seems so real I can't remember if it happened or not. I must have dreamt it multiple years. Yea, that's it. Anyway, did anyone else have back to school nightmares?

Despite the bad dreams, I know I was excited to start school. I still get a little giddy when I buy new pens, pencils, and paper. They are so clean and full of potential. And it was always exciting to see friends I hadn't seen all summer and to get to know the new kids in school.

I don't get nightmares anymore, but about this time of year I start missing school


...until I remember I don't have homework and can read whatever I want -- woo hoo!

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

I totally still get 'back to school' nightmares and not just in the fall. I have the "I can't take that final! I dropped the class" dreams all the time. I bet we could get a dream analyst to tell us what that means. Or we could look it up on wikipedia :)

Robin Fisher said...

Now my "back to school" nightmares have do to with my kids. Making new friends, making the WRONG kind of friends, being the stinky kid, not being potty trained, biting or hitting other kids, etc.

Brenny said...

You have nightmares about your kids being the stinky kids? Wow.

Becca said...

I am with you on the nightmares. I still get them to. The one I get most often is forgetting my locker combination. Lame. But it really stresses me out. I hate school dreams. I am glad I never have to go back.

Trish said...

I'm glad you were able to find it. I was looking through her blog, but the internet was being super slow and I didn't get very far. Trevor said it ended up being a little bit hard. I hope some of them turned out. :o)

LindsC said...

I had lot's of before school nightmares! I wonder if I had one each year? hmmm I think it was stuff like not getting to school. Your cucumber sammies look great! I want a try sometime :) and I love the fog pictures!