Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Next Year, Bigger Tomatoes

I definitely think the little tomatoes I planted this year are perfect for salads and pop-in-your mouth treats. For anything else, they will be a challenge.

Case in point.

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich

Cutting up two to three tiny tomatoes is time consuming. Definitely worth it, because the sandwich was SO yummy, but still a lot of work.

And the smaller tomatoes move the melted cheese around more than you'd think.

Jacqui and I are planning on making salsa. She's made a batch already and brought me some to taste to see if I liked the recipe.

I liked the recipe. Yummy!!

We were talking about blanching the tomatoes to remove the tomato skin and I realized my tiny tomatoes would be a lot of work for very little return. I'm debating whether it is even worth it to try. I may end up begging my parents to let me use their larger tomatoes to make salsa.

I'm hoping they'll let me do a swap. I have a feeling the tiny tomatoes will soon be coming out of my ears. I'm willing to share if anyone needs tomatoes for a veggie tray...

Anyway, this year's garden is all about learning and I'm doing planty of that. Plenty! I'm doing plenty of that.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

5 comments:

Jacqui said...

Are you sure didn't plant cherry or grape tomatoes by mistake? Those ARE awfully small!

I'm sure mom and dad would love to share toms with you. Mom just brought me a bag this morning--I need to do a batch of salsa TODAY!

Brenny said...

I know I planted on plant of cherry tomatoes, at least, but I thought the other two were bigger. They should put something for scale on the pictures with veggies. Or say something like, 'actual size' on the packaging...

Kelli said...

Yea, I don't think it would be worth it to do all the little ones for salsa but they do look cute on your sandwich!

Trish said...

Those are so cute! I would definately trade for some bigger ones to do the salsa though. From my vast canning experience, :o) it gets pretty frustrating using tiny fruits or veggies that you have to peel. You wind up with hardly anything for all your time!

Robin Fisher said...

I wish I lived close enough to get some of those tomatoes!