I'm going to warn you now, the rest of this post may not be that interesting if you aren't a Wyoming Fan.

Reggie Slater. Picture from the Laramie Boomerang.
The reunion basketball game was put together by Reggie Slater to raise money for a former UW basketball player who was diagnosed with cancer. Some of the more well known players that were included in the game were Fennis Dembo and Theo Ratliff. Okay, Theo was more of an honorary member, since his contract with the Pistons made it so he couldn't play. There was also another group of former players who were there but hadn't been asked to join the game.


Fennis Dembo. Picture from the Laramie Boomerang.
It was neat to see the comradery between the players, just for having been on Wyoming's team. The game was fun to watch, too. I was really impressed with Sly Johnson, Rick Henry, Greg Sawyer, Bobby Traylor, Bill Garnett, and Kerry McIntyre--I'd of course never seen them play, but it was just fun to watch them. All of the guys did great, even those who were noticably huffing and puffing by the end.


Picture from the Laramie Boomerang.
While they were introducing the players, Darren kept saying -- 'He was a player!' and 'I remember watching him. He was good.' Does anyone remember AJ the cop? He stands in the player's tunnel as security. He played basketball for Wyoming -- I never knew!
Only a few of the guys that played in the reunion game were on the team while I was in Wyoming. They hadn't changed much:
- Brett McFall ran circles around the other guys with a puppy grin on his face. I swear he never looked happier than when he was on the court.
- Joe Ries couldn't make a shot from the top of the key, but that didn't stop him from trying... repeatedly.
- Ugo Udezue still didn't make his free throws.
Brett McFall was on fire -- Darren and I think he may have gotten more points than his career high when he was at Wyoming. I SO wanted to get a picture with Ugo -- just for you J-girl! He looked good, but not as good as in his Wyoming days.
There is just something about being in the AA and watching basketball. It was fun and I can't wait for the season to start.
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
P.S. This last bit is specifically for los bluemels -- it made me so happy to hear from you! Please, please invite me to your blog so I can find out what you guys have been up to. You can find my email on the side bar...
6 comments:
Isn't this blogging stuff great?!?! I think I'm becoming addicted. Thanks for the update on the Wyoming Cowboys. I really miss the Pokes!!
sorry, i'm never sure who will be interested, since it's been awhile, anyway, your in
Huh? I might not know much but it is still great to hear what you are doing and thinking! Thanks for the update!
Sounds like a great game. I really wish we could have made it now. :o)
I kept waiting for Bailey's name to show up? Wasn't he important enough to get invited to the game? Did he play professionally in europe or something?
what a fun game, sounds like a fun filled saturday.
Post a Comment