Friday, September 26, 2008

It's Friday, I'm in Love

I've been indulging in some self evaluation this week. I'll be the first to admit that I have my fair share of vices. This week, I noticed a disturbing similarity to my vices and some of the 7 deadly sins. I know, what a way to start the weekend. Today's Friday Five is a list from the slippery slope that is my life.



  1. Gum and greed. I like gum. Given the choice between breath mints and gum, I'd choose gum. I put a half stick in my mouth on my way to work, mid morning, after lunch, and driving home. If I go anywhere in the car, I pop a piece in. I blow bubbles and crack and snap my gum. Yes, I'm one of THOSE gum chewers. I also horde my gum. I'm greedy and don't like to share. Oh, I'll share a piece if asked, but I rarely pass a pack around for the general public to partake. Darren is the one exception. He is always welcomed to the dark side of this vice.

  2. Lip balm and pride. I like to carry lip balm in my pocket. There is nothing unusual about that, especially living in the dry Colorado climate. A friend I admire once commented that putting on lipstick or lipgloss will always dress you up a bit, even if you have no other make-up on. Now I'm obsessed with what I put on my lips. I have more Mary Kay lip gloss than is healthy, and I search out luscious chapsticks that make my lips feel fabulous. It is pure vanity and pride.


  3. Bedside books and envy. When I was younger, I would read books in bed until all hours of the night. Now, my work schedule makes such a nighttime book fest dangerous. I need sleep to drive. Last Saturday while canning salsa, Jacqui mentioned staying up until 3 or 4 am reading a good book. I was so envious! Something in me wants to throw caution to the wind and become so engrossed in a book that I can't stop myself from reading WAY past my bedtime.


  4. Sugar and gluttony. Sugar is seriously my nemesis, and it always wins our battles. During our most recent encounter, sugar took the form of Dove carmel and chocolate bites, left by my brother-in-law Trevor when he went back home. I decided to try one, and four pieces later I blearily staggered back in a sad attempt at self control. My behavior might be excusible if it happened just around chocolate, but Trevor left candy corn, too. Mmmmm.... candy corn.


  5. Television and sloth. This pretty much speaks for itself. You know I'm lazy, and you know I love good television. Heck, I love silly lame television. And bad ABC Family made for TV movies. My condition never bothered me before, but this morning I read on my friend Natalie's blog that she watches a news show that discusses current issues. I've never even thought about watching a news show for anything other than the weather forecast. This realization put me and my television habits on a whole new level of slothfulness. Not only does my house not get cleaned, but my brain and public awareness are also neglected. DOH! As sad as it is, HGTV and Jeopardy are my two saving graces...

So, there is the ugly truth. I am a little wary of putting myself out there to be judged, but I hope in some small way admitting my vices may help another. To that person I say, 'You are not alone.'

Have a good weekend. Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

9 comments:

KristiBT said...

mmmm....candy corn. Are you saying that in Heimlich's voice?

Logan and Ashley said...

Um ditto! I am so glad I am not alone. I felt like you were talking right to me... My favorite was about the gum. I am so the same way. In fact I am so bad that I only grab enough gum for Logan, Reid and I when we go to church. I hate to share it!!

Jacqui said...

Well all I can say is that it's sure great that you're not catholic. You'd be on the slippery slope as we speak!

Liz said...

Hey, you're not alone with the wanting to stay up until 3:00 or 4:00 AM reading a novel. The only problem is that my life starts at 6:00 AM and that's not enough sleep. I'm right there with you on the envy, especially when I have a great novel!!!!

Kelli said...

I am there with you girl! Sometimes I even hide food from the boys so I can eat it alone late at night as I read or watch TV! ha-ha

PS MK Pink Diamonds lipgloss is my favorite color this week!

Robin Fisher said...

Brenny, Amanda has developed a thing for lipgloss, too. She puts it on and says, "I so boo-tiful." I have tried to re-train her about what makes a woman beautiful--being smart, being kind, smiling and then she always adds--LIP GLOSS!
So, you are the person who happily pops a piece in her mouth and doesn't offer one to her friend sitting next to her.

Natalie said...

just for the record...I just TiVoed the Princess Diaries 2 to watch while ironing. :) I'm not a total nerd, I swear!

also, your pepper look awesome!

D.B. said...

hey brenda, might not be your favorite music genre, but i dedicate this song to one of your vices, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvXzjGRnKc, my 4 yr. old likes the spoon part the best

as for sugar, i've honestly thought about seeking out an S.A.A. (Sugar Addicts Anonymous)chapter or starting my own, moderation and sugar don't seem to be very compatible,

And lastly, when a book i like comes out i often stay up til' 3 or 4 am to finish it on the weekend because i wont have time during the week, good thing those books don't come out very often, hopefully you don't have to stay up too late reading this novel of a comment i just posted ;)

LindsC said...

YOu are not alone!!!!!!!!! :)