Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Garden

Fall is fast approaching, and thus it is time to evaluate one of our house projects: The Garden.


June 2008 (Before)

August 2008 (After)

As always, there are some things we learned during this house project. For future reference:
  • Smaller gardens are easier to weed.
  • Plant tomatoes on the far side of the garden. They grow tall and might block the rest of the garden from getting watered.
  • Two japaleno plants are too many.
  • One green pepper plant is not enough.
  • Suspect planting two jalapeno plants and one green pepper plant next to each other might cause a cross pollination problem.
  • Green pepper plants suffer the most if there is a cross pollination problem.
  • Jalapenos are very hardy plants.
  • Pumpkins take over everything if you plant them in the middle of the garden.
  • The pumpkins will get their own space next year.
  • Try growing zuccinni and butternut squash from seeds instead of slowing watching the plants die.
  • Onions grow well, but pulling them out to see if they are done is not a good idea.
  • The dog will sample vegetables, especially cucumbers.
  • Put a fence around the garden. No fence, no cucumbers.
  • Planting basil and cilantro is a good idea. Try more spices next year.
  • Plant bigger tomatoes.

Speaking of tomatoes, we've had quite a harvest. Check out how many we picked!

Now see the 'harvest' with a penny for scale.

And see the 'harvest' fit in a cereal bowl. Everytime I go out I get about this many, so not bad, but not great either.

The japalenos have really done well.

I don't know exactly what to do with them, other than use one pepper for a huge batch of salsa, so I've decided to make japaleno jelly. I couldn't give my neighbors zuccinni bread, why not japaleno jelly? Anyone have a good recipe?

Next to the japalenos, the pumpkins have done the best. They are still ripening to a beautiful orange, so pictures will have to wait.

Darren and I enjoyed the garden and are already planning for next year. Looks like we will have a berry box AND a pumpkin box. I want it to be a 'squash box', but that is still under negotiation. Apparently Darren wasn't as sad as I was that the zuccinni and butternut squash didn't make it...

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

9 comments:

Kelli said...

WOW! I am impressed. My sympathies about the squash and zuccini. Your neighbors may thank you however! I can't wait to sample your new jalapeno recipes! Good job and thanks for the tips!

Jacqui said...

I totally pulled out a few onions in Dad's garden to see if they were 'done' yet, only to be disappointed and put them back in the ground:) I guess it must be genetic or something.

Even though they're small, your toms are very pretty. Well done!

LindsC said...

Yeah it looks like you guys did well, I like the good and bads for next year, I'll have to consider those things in the future.

Heidi said...

Success in my eyes! We failed miserably at our one attempt at gardening here. I am now convinced I need to compost to prepare my soil and then we'll try again.

My neighbor gave me a tomato jelly, so I'm curious to know how your jalapeno jelly turns out.

KristiBT said...

YES! do jalapeno jelly - love it.
http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?course_vch=jelly&ttl=1&recipe_id_int=5359
that was a long link....also you should make Pioneer Woman's cream cheese bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers...yum.yum....!

KristiBT said...

p.s. your tomatoes look like Romas....they look normal if they are Roma tomatoes....are they?

Trish said...

The pictures look great. The pumpkin comment made me laugh. They do need A LOT of room. I remember planting them like four rows away from everything else in my parent's garden. Those are some very good tips to remember.

Robin Fisher said...

Congrats Brenny. I am looking forward to having a garden in El Paso--hopefully.

D.B. said...

Man, nice veggies, I'm jealous, nice pics, yaa
dave