
First of all, I have to say that I really liked this book. On the outset I will say that the title put me off of actually reading the book. Jacqui had recommended the book to me a while ago and I just kind of kept it there in the back of my mind. Finally, I read a summary of the book and I thought, "why haven't I read this before?" It instantly got put on my list as a serious 'to read' entry. Since the library synopsis really was what got me to want to read it, I'll post it here:
Inspired by the author's original family memoirs, this absorbing story introduces us to the questing, indomitable Sarah Prine, one of the most memorable women ever to survive and prevail in the Arizona Territory of the late 1800s. As a child, a fiery young woman, and finally a caring mother, Sarah forges a life as full and fascinating as our deepest needs, our most secret hopes, and our grandest dreams. She rides Indian-style and shoots with deadly aim, greedily devours a treasure trove of leatherbound books, dreams of scarlet velvet and pearls, falls uneasily in love, and faces down fire, flood, Comanche raids, and other mortal perils with the unique courage that forged the character of the American West. This action-packed novel is also the story of a powerful, enduring love between Sarah and the dashing cavalry officer Captain Jack Elliot. Neither the vast distances traveled nor the harsh and killing terrains could quench the passion between them, and the loss and loneliness both suffer only strengthen their need for each other. While their love grows, the heartbreak and wonder of the frontier experience unfold in scene after scene: a wagon-train Sunday spent roasting quail on spits as Indians close in to attack; Sarah's silent encounter with an Indian brave, in which he shows her his way of respect; a dreadful discovery by a stream that changes Sarah forever; the hazards of a visit to Phoenix, a town as hot as the devil's frying pan; Sarah's joy in building a real home, sketching out rooms and wraparound porches. Sarah's story leads us into a vanished world that comes vividly to life again, while her struggles with work and home, love and responsibility resonate with those everywoman faces today.
Gee, there isn't much more I can say after that write-up. This book had both adventure and love. The stories, told as diary entries, were amazing and I truly felt like I was there with her sometimes. One of my favorite parts of the book was hearing about the books Sarah loved, and how she changed because of the things she read and learned. I feel like that with books, too. Sarah was self educated and continued to learn throughout her life. Isn't that what each of us is supposed to do? This book had so many great quotes, but I'm afraid this entry is too long already so I won't post any. Very good book, I definitely recommend it!
Okay, I'll post one quote that I keep thinking about, "Our axles are miss matched, but our wheels are turning." Sometimes life feels like that, you know. All you can say is at least you are moving forward. Well, okay, sometimes my life feels like that.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
4 comments:
Wow, you are so passionate about reading and I know so many people who are I wish I could get into it. I keep trying to check books out at the library but by the end of the two weeks I only have the first chapter read and I'm afraid at that pace I can't even count how many times I'll have to renew it. Any suggested reading for a "beginner" :)
After something like this I definitely like easier reads, so I do have some suggestions. But instead of bombarding you with a list, my thought is to tell you to start with Newberry books (you can find winner lists online). Personally, I don't think anyone can go wrong with Children's Books -- they are wonderful, innocent, and still entertaining. Plus, when the girls get old enough you'll have some great books to suggest. At least that is what I tell myself as to why I like to read them so much...
I totally second brenda's suggestion of Newberys. I made my way through our library's collection last year and wasn't disappointed once (that I can remember)
Thanks, I hope that will help!
Post a Comment