The first step, of course, being scraping the popcorn off the ceiling. This weekend Darren and I did the second step towards finishing our living room and dining room -- we textured. Thursday and Friday we taped the windows, all doors, the banister, and the baseboards. We started early on Saturday and were finished by 2:30 pm. Considering our previous texturing adventures, Saturday was surprising smooth. Here are a few action shots of the day. Since this is only step two, no before pictures yet...


On the stairs to our upstairs hallway


In a corner
Here is what we learned about texturing this go round:
- Taking the time to tape is worth it.
- If you end up taping in your master bedroom, make sure you've retrieved appropriate footwear for the work day.
- Be thankful that you've never put your steel toed work boots away.
- The reason the first bit of texture runs down the wall is because there is still water in the machine, not because your 'texture preparer' mixed the texture too thin.
- Using an old hand mixer is a good idea, just remember that mixers don't last forever.

- Mixers can also overheat really easily, so be gentle.
- Try to pick a nice day to work so you won't have to worry about freezing when you open the window to let the smoke from the overheated mixer out.
- Remind your 'texturer' that hand mixers aren't that expensive and can be replaced.

- Makita drills are straight from heaven and can work as a mixer when push comes to shove.
- Don't turn your back on the 'texturer.' He may use your back as a 'test spray surface' before going back to the wall.
- Just because the work went smoothly doesn't mean there won't be an argument during clean up.
- Invest in good lotion. Texture really saps the moisture from your hands.
Next up we will be priming and painting the ceiling and walls. We are keeping everything taped up until we are done, except for our master bedroom because we actually need to function before this is finished. I have never realized how much I actually use the other rooms in our house. And the linen closet. We've borrowed an airless sprayer and since we've never used one before, there will be a steep learning curve and plenty of tips to share once we are done.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
12 comments:
Love the tips! I have taken notes especially about the clean up arguements!
This is our next house project. Yikes I'm scared!!
Do home improvement projects ever end?
Next week for mutual we are having a party, and I think I am going to use your idea. What else do you do for mutual (I need all the help I can get).
Brenda, You crack me up. I am so glad it is you doing home projects, because I think if it were me there may be more than texture stuff all over my back. :> Looks good! You are brave people.
Never turn your back on the texturer. Advice to live by.
Paint Paint Paint. I can't wait to see what you chose!
Lot's of work! But the second step seems tough. Looks like you guys had some fun between the mix ups! :)
wow, nice, i'm envious, i lack some know how, but it's so cool to watch a project like this progress and then live in the end result, very nice
It must be nice to be married to a man who knows how to fix things. Well, Chris can fix things if they are computer related but he came from a house of academia where his parents would have to hire someone if something needed repairing or whatever. They have tried in the past to do it on there own but it hasn't been pretty. I'm the handyman/woman in this house. At least Chris can spare me and others the bad language I'd use if the computer had issues.
Can't wait to see the finale!
I loved the tips--especially about the drill. Just be grateful he didn't try to mix it in your Kitchen Aid :)
I have a tip for you about the airless sprayer. Don't wear anything you care about and totally cover the floors. When we painted our house in American Fork (granted, we painted the WHOLE brand new house) everything was covered in a fine layer of paint. I ended up throwing away the shirt and pants because there was no way to get it clean. Any body part that you can cover, eye protection, hat, face mask will be less paint you have to scrub off your body later.
I am so excited for you! This is such a fun project and such a big one! I must say I wasn't part of the taping and texturing when Dan did it downstairs, but if we ever finish another basement you bet your buns that I'm going to be hovering or even doing it myself the next time around. I love the hand mixer. And I don't know if you're gonna or if someone has given you this advice already, but by a spray painter, that will save a lot of time. Just make sure you and everything else is covered. Can't wait to see the finish project!
What a project, but how rewarding. I can't wait to see it all done. I bet it will look fantastic.
Post a Comment