Friday, January 2, 2009

It's Friday, I'm in Love

Happy New Year! I've read a lot of blogs today that mention the same goal for the new year -- getting healthy. I'll admit it is one of my goals for the year as well. I was calling doctors for Darren this morning and he emailed to say, "Thanks for taking care of that. I like you being in charge of my health. That is something I really don't concern myself with a lot." That made me laugh a bit because as far as healthy eating goes, I have not been a good steward or example for my husband this last year. This short coming was never more evident than when I avoided telling my dietitian sister what vegetables I buy. I think I distracted her by turning the question back on her. Or asking her were she got her shirt. Yeah, that was a low point. I do like vegetables, we just need to reacquaint them with my refrigerator. Today's Friday Five is a list of some of my favorite veggies. Here's the list:



  1. Crispy and crunchy... Carrots and celery. Carrots because they turn your skin orange if you eat too many and because someone once told me they were nature's tooth brushes. It may be mental, but my teeth do feel less fuzzy after I eat a carrot. Celery because they are the red-headed step children of the vegetable kingdom -- so misunderstood and teased. And I like the taste.

  2. Often mistaken as weeds... Spinach and a nice spring mix. I need to add spinach to more dishes. I had it on pizza last night and it was yummy! I love spring mixes because I feel like I'm munching on dandelion greens. That isn't the only reason. I also, um, like the different colors and texture. Yeah. Color and texture.

  3. Grown under questionable circumstances... Mushrooms. Technically these are fungi, and I know people have VERY strong feelings about fungus. Personally, I'm all about these soft tasty bites, especially in soups, sauteed with butter, or cooked with roasts.

  4. Vegetables or candy?... Peppers. I like the sweet kind more than the hot kind. I like green, red, orange, yellow, and maybe even purple peppers. I haven't tried purple yet. They are best when they are crisp because then you get a shot of juice, too.


  5. And as far as tubers go... Sweet potatoes. I've only been reintroduced to these in recent years. A twist on the old Idaho standby, sweet potatoes are not just for baby food anymore. I like them baked with brown sugar and butter. That may need to change.

Now the re-integration with the refrigerator can begin. And maybe I should stop cooking them with so much butter. I'd love to hear some integration tips if anyone wants to share. Meal planning is on my list of goals for the year, so that's covered...

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

**My sister Jacqui is the Registered Dietitian I mentioned above. She specializes in pregnancy and post partum nutrition counseling, healthy weight loss, meal planning and nutrition education. If you want a consultation, you can email her at JacquiWebbRD@gmail.com. Happy Healthy New Year!

14 comments:

Jacqui said...

Thanks for the plug. Are you hoping for a commission?

I put spinach in almost everything: quesadillas, pasta sauces, lasagna (only if mom's not coming to dinner), pizza, eggs...everything. I think it's one of natures superfoods that only gets more rich in nutrients as you cook it (as long as you don't OVER cook it).

I also love asparagas (I didn't learn that at home). Ms Manners says it's proper etiquette to eat asparagas with your fingers. That's why I love it. Especially grilled, but all veggies are better grilled.

I'm also a big fan of squash--summer and winter varieties. When I think of squash I think of soup and that makes me happy.

I completely agree with you about mushrooms. They're a very misunderstood fungas :) Don't give up mushrooms sauteed in butter, it's so delicious, but try sauteeing other veggies in a little EVOO. It's more heart healthy.

There, do I sound like a credible RD? :)

Brenny said...

Yes, very credible. I have to agree with you on asparagus -- that should have made the list. I once had asparagus on pizza. Yummy!

Actually, I can't think of anything that isn't good on pizza, although I've never tried anchovies...

Becky said...

I love healthy foods I just don't know what to do with them. I am a boring cook. I have that same goal of eating better and adding the exercise part. I did finally join a gym but what seems to happen with me is I either eat healthy or I exercise I just can't get them both together. When I exercise I'm constantly hungry and when I eat healthy I don't have enough energy (it might be the wrong kind of healthy eating). Good luck to you and to me!

Mary O said...

Good for you for reintroducing healthy eating. I'm a terrible example myself. I wish I was better at it, but I'm not even organized enough to make a New Year's resolution!! How very sad!

The only thing I can say is, I too am in love with peppers. Those and cucumbers are all I need to be happy. Now, I don't think that would necessarily be healthy enough, but it's better than no veggies. Good luck to you!

Jayne said...

Yes, veggies are a challenge here too. I've started a new meal planning idea and am loving it. I use my computer's calendar program to plan a week or two at a time. This way I can look back at previous months to get meal ideas. The calendar also has a notes section for each meal 'event' where I copy and paste recipes, location of recipes, shopping lists, etc. Also, I color code if it's a dessert, main dish or side dish (veggie) meal event. So far it's been working great. Only downside is I need my laptop in the kitchen while I cook so that I have the recipe with me.

Heidi said...

Why are red, orange, and yellow peppers so much more expensive than green? Maybe it's to get us back for using the "red-headed step child" phrase. That'll show us!

Jacqui, I think you should share some of your yummy veggie recipes. I totally trust you!

Mac Family said...

That is also one of mine and Dan's new year resolution: to eat more veggies. it's hard! But we'll have to see how we do. Personally I don't mind spinach and mushrooms...especially stuffed mushrooms. They are greasy, but they are good. Gotta find a way to make them less greasy.

Robin Fisher said...

My new favorite way to sneek in more fruits and veggies is I cut up some apples and carrots (or whatever I have) and I put them out while I am cooking. The kids come in to tell me they are hungry and they start munching on veggies. HA!!! They don't even know it!

flem-fam said...

Hey Brenda, of course you can link to me, but that just means I'm going to link to you as well!!!

A. said...

I like bright colored foods...cherry starbursts being one of the best...although the orange starbursts are right up there.

D.B. said...

I rediscovered sweet potatoes a little over a year ago. Try them baked - yeah, you cut them up like steak fries, toss them in a little olive oil, seasoned salt or emerils and bake away. Delish. A nice variation on french fries.

Anna Beal said...

Ok funny thing...that wasn't me swearing on my blog. It was totally Alex. I think some people are confused as to who wrote that post.

Leslie said...

My sister had me try some edamame awhile back. Pretty good. So if you are looking for a new veggie to try....

LindsC said...

yum those veggies look really good! I do like butter with mine too! :) You have to try Amy knapps planner organizer, it may help with your meal planning I love it, I love it so much I have now ordered the soft cover for it and have used it for four yrs now, no I'm starting my forth year. Hey this is may be a blog post for me :) anyway here is where you can find it. https://www.familyorganizer.com/default.aspx