Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Words from 'Blah' Land

It is Wednesday and I haven't gotten a chance to write about the fun (and busy) weekend we had. Part of it is because I've just felt blah after all the running around. Part of it is because I don't have any pictures. I like it when posts have pictures, so I'll try to make this weekend update as short and sweet as possible:

Friday.

  • Television for Darren.
  • Book club for Brenda. At book club they discussed Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons and watched the 1995 movie staring Kate Beckensale. Both were very cute and very funny.
  • Brenda finished the book 5 minutes before the meeting started and it was only 232 pages.
Saturday.

  • Darren goes golfing early.
  • Brenda sleeps in and is still in bed when Darren gets back.
  • D&B go Sam's Club shopping for food for the next two weeks and for Father's Day.
  • Brenda realizes she did not get a card sent to her father-in-law for Father's Day and can now be identified as a horrible, horrible daughter-in-law. She has lost all hope of winning D-I-L of the year.
  • D&B go to Lowe's and buy material to build a fence.
  • Fence is half done and looks great, but no pictures are taken.
  • Brenda straightens and cleans house.
  • D&B take the Acura to get a car wash and fill it with gas.
  • D&B go to a friend's son's 1st birthday and eat good food and talk to great people.
  • Robin, Adam and Amanda come to D&B's house and get slowly acclimated to Bailey, the scary black licking dog.
  • D&B and R,A, and A go to park and play. Very fun.
  • Darren starts smoking the meat for pulled pork sandwichs on Sunday.
  • We make popcorn and watch half of Shrek before A and A go to bed.
  • Adam and Amanda come down several times before they are separated and fall asleep in different rooms.
  • Robin and Brenda go do some last minute grocery shopping and then stay up talking until 11:00.
  • Brenda stays up a bit reading because she can't stop thinking about this book.
Sunday.

  • Make barbeque sauce for Father's Day meal.
  • Brenda misses chior. Again.
  • Church. D&B are facinated by the toys R has brought for A and A and take turns playing with them.
  • Finish barbeque pulled pork dinner preparations and take a quick rest. No pictures taken, but smell is fabulous.
  • Adam and Amanda have acclimated to Bailey and follow her around saying, "Bailey, sit. Bailey. Bailey. Bailey, sit."
  • Brenda realizes she forgot to get a card for her dad for Father's Day and will not be in the running for Daughter of the Year either. Robin has two cards and lets Brenda and Darren have one to give to Dad. Brenda concedes her campain to Robin and throws her support in favor of the favorite sister.
  • Mom and Dad get there and we eat. Rave reviews for the food.
  • Brenda admits she did not buy the card she gives her dad. Her guilt will not allow any supterfuge.
  • Jacqui calls and she and her clan head our way for some eats.
  • After dessert we play hide and go seek.
  • Everyone but R, A and A leave. Mom and Dad drive Acura home. We wave fondly goodbye. Thanks again for letting us use it!
  • We go to bed early because we are all tired. Bailey most of all.

Now can you see why the beginning of the week has been kind of blah in comparison? Thanks for making the trip Robin! We loved having you guys spend some time at our house. I was also a little blah because I was such a horrible daughter and daughter-in-law. I was a little embarassed to do a Father's Day post after reading all the wonderful posts from good daughters. I do love both my father and father-in-law very much and am grateful for them in my life.


Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

6 comments:

Trish said...

Wow! You guys had a busy weekend. Sounds like fun though. :o) On the topic of Father's Day cards though, I feel like Trevor should be responsible for his and I will be for mine. The only exception is that if I find a gift that I think they both would like, then I get two. :o) That's how we've done it so far even though I've been thinking it might not be fair lately. One side of the family has been getting a lot more cards than the other! (I'll let you guess which.):o)

Brenny said...

LOL! I like how you guys do the card thing. I'm afraid we'd have a shortage on one side, too. :) Although, if it hadn't been for Robin, both sides would have been shorted this year!

Kelli said...

What a busy weekend! So fun that so many of the family got to get together. With or without cards, I am sure both dad's know you love them!

Heidi said...

I immediately noticed the wonderful aroma wafting from your house on Sunday, but did not want to seem like a MOOCH by commenting... at the time. Now that it is safe, it smelled amazing! Share with us how you prepared it!!! (Please)

The Coolest Allen Family said...

I second Heidi's request. Please tell us how you prepared your fantastic Fathers Day meal.

Also...I think cards are dumb. If I made you a lovely dinner (which you obviously did) I think that is good enough. Don't beat yourself up. You are awesome!

Robin Fisher said...

Brenny, I was totally willing to let dad think you got the card. I even let you have the funny card :)We had a great time. Adam is still cracking up about "BAAAAAIIIIILLLEEEEEEYYYYYY SSSSIIIIITTTTT!!!" He chuckels about it whenever there is a lull in the conversation.
Amanda keeps panting and saying, "Bailey says, "ha ha ha."