Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!

When I was growing up we used to call my dad 'the Great Pooba' because he knew the answer to every question. And okay, maybe our questions weren't that hard or anything, but it just seemed like he had a grasp on every subject. Dad, you've taught me a lot, and I know I owe you thanks for many things. Here is just a start. Thank you for:
  1. Teaching me to drive a stick shift (and impressing upon me the safety and responsibility of driving when I almost ran into the neighbor's mailbox).
  2. Teaching me to put up a tent, build a fire, cook on the fire, catch a fish, identify constellations, and appreciate being out-of-doors.
  3. Impressing upon me the importance of education and supporting me in my choice of major (even though you were skeptical that I could find a job in my field).
  4. Teaching me about agency.
  5. Taking me to museums and helping me to appreciate art.
  6. Introducing me to Hoosiers and taking me to basketball games.
  7. Not giving Darren a hard time when he asked if he could marry me.
  8. Giving me father's blessings.
  9. Taking me dress shopping and being so good at finding the dresses that made me smile.
  10. Cooking the best steaks.
Happy Birthday, Pop! We sure love you!

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

Nice tribute. Sheesh, you totally showed me up.

Jacqui said...

:) I meant to add the smiley face. :)

Ruth said...

Daddy's girl!!