Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thursday, Never Looking Back

I met Darren in Laramie the fall semester after his mission. A group of us were going to a movie and Darren, and the guy I was dating at the time, picked me up. 'The guy' ran to get someone else leaving Darren and me in the car together. We did the basic polite chatting -- he did not dis BYU, which I will always remember since he has no such compunction now, but if he had it probably would have turned me off immediately. Later that week we sat next to each other during a huge get together/party to watch the Simpson's new Tree House of Horror. We had great a discussion on the Tau of the Simpsons, and whether Darren thought anything of it or not, I remember thinking he was a cool guy and I'd have to keep my eye out for him. We kept getting thrown together in the same group and eventually became good friends as we watched movies, went skiing, went rock climbing, went sledding, ate dinner, watched basketball, and went to the temple.

It wasn't love at first sight, but more love by way of friendship realizing that after spending so much time together there could be more between us. He is perfect for me in so many ways I couldn't even begin to list them. I don't know that I'd want to share that list with you anyway...
But I think he is totally hot. I love his gray green eyes. I love his big fat hugs. I love his smile. I love that we can make each other laugh. I love that he is so competative. I love that he is so motivated. I love that he likes to be out doing rather than just thinking about it. I love that we can argue well. I love that he supports me no matter what. Seriously, I could go on...
You know, I dated some great guys, but since marrying Darren I've never looked back and wondered what my life would have been like with anyone else. Honestly, I feel like I'm living the dream.
I love you, Darren. Happy Valentine's Day.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy

17 comments:

wyomingerica said...

Yea for florida, is that the first picture? Happy Valentines Day

Trish said...

What a great story! :o) I've wondered about the background on you guys. I've heard a little bit about how you officially started dating, but it was cool to hear the rest of the story.

Jacqui said...

Ya that was a nice tribute to your honey. Happy v-day. Did you mean to say 'Happy Valentine's Day?' with the question mark? Were you not sure that you really wanted to wish me happy v-day since I'm your sister?

Jacqui said...

what is 'compunction'?

Jacqui said...

Random. I thought that sky high was cute too. Why did you watch it?

Brenny said...

compunction, according to Dictionary.com is: 1) A feeling of uneasiness or anxiety of the conscience caused by regret for doing wrong. 2) any uneasiness or hesitation about the rightness of an action.

Yeah, Darren has NO compunction when it comes to mocking BYU. :)

Jacqui said...

Good word choice. i've never even hear it or read it before.

I like the shot out to the Cure. have you been planning this for long?

Jacqui said...

PS we watched 13 going on 30 last night. It was cute. Kraig thought it was torture though. Did DArren sit through it?

Jacqui said...

Can I keep adding comments so that you log on and see that the comment count it high and your heart does a little cheer only to find out they are all one-liners from your sister :) tehehe

Brenny said...

It does cheer my heart to see comments, but it makes me want to call you, not keep commenting on your comments.

Darren liked 13 Going on 30 -- it is the BBC Pride and Prejudice he thinks is torture. We really like Sky High. They play it on ABC Family pretty often, but we only seem to catch the ending. I recorded it last time so Darren could see it. Seriously, it was like watching 2 year olds watch Dora the Explorer. I'm a geek so of course I like it, but I'm always surprised what entertains Darren.

Jacqui said...

Sky High was one of the 4 or 5 movies we saw on the single screen theater in Heber. I hold that movie near and dear to my heart. sniff sniff

Michelle said...

what a GREAT shout out to darren on heart day. I hope brandon doesn't read it and get jealous. :) you're the bomb brenda!

Heidi said...

Not that the story of you and Darren isn't cute/interesting, but I want to add to this whole Sky High thread! Shortly after we moved here, I won tickets to see that movie, along with the soundtrack, and a Sky High tee! So if you would like a copy of the soundtrack, I'd be happy to share.

Lauren said...

Nice words for your hubby. Glad that he's so good to you.:)

Ruth said...

Loved you Tribute. Darren is a great guy!!! I loved the pic at the end of you both. It's really cute:)

The Coolest Allen Family said...

I too love the picture at the end. It looks like pure love! Life is great when you have a wonderful partner at your side!

Brenny said...

Amen