Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Indecision in 2008

So, I did participate in the caucus last night. People all over Colorado showed up for record attendance numbers. At my precinct there were 30 people; they told us that two years ago there were only 2 participants.

I found the caucus very interesting and informative. Having never been to one before, I didn't know neighborhood representatives were chosen to go to a county meeting, and there, county people would be chosen to attend regional meetings, and so forth. Very interesting, and a bit cool to know that the issues we brought up would be presented and taken to these meetings. I don't know that they will go much farther, but it still made me feel like the little people's voices were being heard.

And some of those voices were very opinionated. Last night there were people who were extremely emphatic about how they stood concerning presidential platforms and were clapping and cheering (or making snorting and snarky noises) while the platforms were being read.

Eventhough I registered with a political party when I got my driver's license, I feel more like a moderate and wouldn't really profess to completely embrace the ideas of one party or the other. To be honest, after I raised my hand to vote and was counted, I actually wanted to change who I'd chosen. I didn't because, well, how embarassing would that be, but for some reason my choice felt so permanent to me. We were only voting for who we think would be a good candidate to run, and not who will be president or anything. It isn't permanent, and I know that, but it still feels like who I chose I'll have to support and I already know they won't completely please me. I don't think any of the candidates really please me and I guess I don't like feeling like I'm choosing the lesser of two evils to run to lead the country, you know?

Anyway, two thumbs up for the caucus. I will definitely go again.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

3 comments:

wyomingerica said...

way to caucus!

LindsC said...

Cool I didn't know about that, that was interesting. I understand what you mean about choosing a candidate that I don't completly like, is hard. I especially hate that nobody wants to get rid of No Child left behind, that one hits a spot for me, especially in regards to handicap students.

Christi said...

Hey, I was a first time caucus-attendee as well. It was pretty crazy, and crowded. That's good. But, I always feel I am trying to choose the candidate who would do the least amount of damage, rather than the most good...the lesser evil. Why is politics such a mess? Just say what you mean, mean what you say. Oh well. This '08 race will be interesting I'm sure.