Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mix Tape

So this weekend while I was shopping I happened to hit a store that was playing Africa, by Toto. Good song. I remembered I had included it on a mix CD I'd had someone make for me, so instead of wandering around the store just to listen to it, I popped the mix CD in my car and left.

The whole CD has songs I like and I was soon happily listening to some old favorites. Once I started listening to it over again (I had a bunch of errands and drove around quite a bit) I suddenly realized how depressing the compilation actually was. Was I that depressed when I had it made?

The funny thing about mix tapes/CDs are that they take you back to the time when you put them together. Better Than Ezra sings a song called Rewind that talks about this phenomenom -- how they saw a car crash and suddenly the mix tape became the sound track to the wreck and they always remembered the occasion when they listened to the worn out tape.

My whole point with this diatribe is that I actually started laughing at how unknowingly I had made a sound track to my life in the Fall of 2000. Here is the play list.
  1. Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
  2. Question of Lust - Depeche Mode
  3. Hero - Foo Fighters
  4. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin
  5. Over the Hills and Far Away - Led Zepplin
  6. No Sugar Tonight - The Guess Who (Jen, it makes me think of you and they are happy thoughts of rocking out, but still, in this collection it is kind of sad...)
  7. Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles (Yeah, I'm still trying to see the connection to my life with this one, but still a good song)
  8. Bizarre Love Triangle - OMD
  9. Unpretty - TLC
  10. Strong Enough - Sheryl Crow
  11. Windmill - Toad the Wet Sprocket
  12. Africa - Toto
  13. Just Like Heaven - The Cure
  14. Free Falling - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
  15. Moondance - Van Morrison (at least it ended on kind of a happy note)
Separately they are all good songs, but together they are kind of pathetic. Does anyone else think so? I'm surprised I didn't seek counseling... Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

10 comments:

Jacqui said...

Ok, there was only about one song on that list that I could sing just from the title, so I can't confirm that it's a depressing mix. But isn't Strawberry Fields Forever a drug song from the beatles drug-era?

Brenny said...

I think it is a drug song. Another reason I'm a little confused (or scared) that I included it...

Jacqui said...

There was a kid in my high school english class who chose to analyze that 'poem,' that's the only reason I knew that :)

I'm planning on Saturday, you knew that, right? What will Darren be doing during the meeting? Could he play with Andy (or take Andy with him whereever he goes to escape all the women)? Just wondering.

LKC said...

Okay, here's a topic for another post. I just found out today that all the writers for our favorite sitcoms are on strike. Now, since I don't get American TV it doesn't really affect me, but how do you feel about all of this? I know you love your Thursday night TV just as much as I do.

wyomingerica said...

I wonder if Doug would reconize any of those songs. I don't have a clue.

Jacqui said...

Linds--I heard that the sitcoms have enough scripts to get them through the new year without a problem from the strike. It's all the live tv shows (like Jay Leno) that are forced into reruns with no one writing his funny lines

Brenny said...

SO, I wrote this whole long comment and then decided I should probably just post my opinions... So, you'll hear from me soon.

Yellow Barn Girl said...

Hey,
first let me say we have very similar taste in music. Love OMD, love the cure love unpretty not so much TLC but that song. love tom petty should I go on...depeche mode, still own all the albums second most are great songs, but yeah I see your "pathetic" point when placed all together. You depressed? I can't figure that one out, but hey what a good way to remember a period in your life. I found a collection cd from 2000 and I am embarrassed to say it had a couple songs from Britney Spears on it. That should make you feel better!!

Mac Family said...

I've heard said that it is not proper to read someone's blog without leaving a comment letting them know your there.. a sort of peeping tom rule to blogging. I'm not sure about that but nonetheless I felt I ought to comment here mainly for the list of music. I had no idea anyone else actually knew of Toad the Wet Sprocket. I'm not sure I know that particular song but I do like them. And no.. I don't think that list is really too pathetic. Much of the music I like is somewhat depressing and I like it even when I'm in a good mood.

Dan

Brenny said...

Yea! Another Toad fan. Windmills is from my favorite of their albums -- Dulcinea. Very good. I agree about pathetic depressing music -- it definitely has it's place in my collection, but perhaps I concentrated it a bit too much. And about the whole leaving a comment thing... Guess I need to be more polite when I haunt your guys's blog...

Kimball, we SO have to chat about music. And we all have a 'Britney Spears' in our closets. Mine would probably be Richard Marx or Rascal Flats -- the boy band of country music.