Thursday, August 16, 2007

And the Dog Lived...

So, Darren came home on Tuesday and found that Bailey had gotten in the house and destroyed a few things in our family room. Specifically a red pen that she chewed and spread all over the carpet. Here is a picture of the carnage with Darren's shoe for scale (I'm a geologist, there must always be something for scale).


I told my sisters and mom the story and asked for any ideas of what might work to get it out. My sister Robin told me hairspray would work -- spray and blot, don't rub. I must admit, I was sceptical but decided to try it anyway. Check it out!


It totally worked. Well, it got quite a bit of the ink out. There is still pink spots left, but it looks so much better. Except for the clean spot that doesn't match the rest of the carpet... and the overwhelming Suave Max Hold hairspray smell... but I think it will work until we get new carpet (which will be sooner rather than later, as originally planned)


As a scientist I would be interested to see if different sprays created different results... but I'm not going to purposely put ink on my carpet, so that experiement will have to wait until I have kids. Thanks for the tip Robin.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

5 comments:

Trish said...

I've heard that about hairspray, but I've never seen the results. That's impressive. Does it work on clothing too? :o)

Brenny said...

I think it does, but haven't tried it... yet. I am pretty free wheeling with my pens so I have plenty of clothes to try them on. I'll let you know how it works

Becca said...

Boy does that bring back some memories. Love the hairspray trick. I have found that it works on tables too. Anna wrote all over our kitchen table with a pen and it cleaned right off with hairspray.

Jacqui said...

Remember how gross mom's carpet gets with all the hairspray that she uses? I don't know why this post reminded me of that. Maybe the smell.

I use Suave Mega 10 too :)

Brenny said...

Oo Becca -- that is SO good to know that it works on hard surfaces too! I thought it could only be used on cloth. THanks!