Monday, June 25, 2007

A Flaming Gorge Weekend

The Oakeson Family Reunion was this weekend at Flaming Gorge. Darren and I were only able to make a quick trip to participate in the fun, but we had a nice time hanging out with cousins, aunts, uncles, and good old Grandpa Oakeson.


The big activity for the day was to float the Green River from the dam to a pull-out 7 miles downstream. We floated two boats at a time and this arrangement was perfect for water fights. Here is a picture of us beginning a fight. Darren's cousin James was REALLY good at flinging water. David has the oar in the picture, but trust me, James was merciless. I think Ruth got the brunt of the wrath, but it was SO fun to hear her scream. I will definitely take Ruth with me the next time I go on a rollar coaster...


The river was amazing--the canyons we went through incredible. The water was so clear you could almost see to the bottom. Fisherman practically lined the banks hoping to snag one of the huge fish we could see. Darren wasn't a very good oarsman--the fish kept distracting him! More than once he wished for a pole. About halfway through we stopped at a small beach for a rest and a quick swim. Cathy was the only one brave enough to bring a camera on the river. (Thanks for the pictures!)


If you ever get the chance to travel down the Green River, take it! You won't be sorry. Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

I've never seen that side of the gorge. It looks beautiful! I'm glad you had fun and didn't get too bent out of shape for getting wet. :)