Friday, August 20, 2010

It's Friday, I'm in Love

School started this week and today, finally, I feel like we might actually make it. My stress level and sanity was touch and go there for the first couple of days. Today's Friday Five are some first week of school happenings that need documenting. Here's the list:


  1. Big Miss started Seminary bright and early Monday morning. When I say 'bright and early' I mean at 5:30 am instead of 6:00 am like last year. She wanted to do the early class. Masochist.

  2. Big Miss also wanted me to go with her on her first day. She started a new school so I'm not surprised she wanted company. It felt like she wanted me there to hold her hand, except, you know, she is in high school and all but told me to walk a few feet ahead so no one would know she was with her mom.

  3. When I picked Big Miss up the second day I could tell she was in a good mood. I asked how her day was and she told me there was a cute boy in her science class. Ah, the memories. I used to pick out a cute crush worthy boy in each class just to make it worth it to go to class. And, you know, to have someone I could stare at (but pretend not to stare at) when I got bored.

  4. Little Miss had her first day of Kindergarten on Thursday. She chose her outfit the night before and told me she wanted her hair with a braid to the side. I wasn't sure what a 'braid to the side' exactly meant, so I did my best. She seemed okay with the results. Here she is with her cute teacher.

  5. I could tell Little Miss was nervous in the days leading up to school starting because she was extra clingy and whiny. I started preparing her for the big day by talking her through the day's schedule and answering her questions as best as I could. I might have done too good a job because when I dropped her off she hugged me, gave me a kiss, and then said, 'Bye Mom' with hardly a glance backward. I ended up being the clingy and whiny one. I was also the one getting a bit choked up as I walked away from her classroom. This is how I left her. I think she'll be okay.

Yeah, both girls are going to be fine in their new schools. I am positive a happy schedule will emerge.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

9 comments:

Jacqui said...

I got a little choked up reading about you leaving your children at school. But so classic that Stacy didn't want to walk with you. Did we do that to our mom? I don't remember. I liked using mom as an arm rest, so I'm going to say I walked next to her :)

Helen said...

I always walked behind so you never had to worry about it--short legs are the pits! I do not remember being really sad when any of you went to school--just proud of you.

Jacqui said...

PS. I think Autumn's hair is super cute. You're good at those little girl hair styles.

Kelli said...

I have a love/hate relationship with school. I have a 7th grader who gets close to tears every time Junior High is mentioned and there is really not thing one I can do more than I have done. We even "talked" through his schedule today after walking it earlier this week.
I must say your hair skills are killer. I am pretty sure that is why I wasn't blessed with girls. 0 hair skills. You are amazing.

Ruth said...

Awwwwww!! her hair so cute! She is SO cute! What a fun part of being parents!Stacey is such a neat girl!

Christi said...

Kindergarten drop off always leaves me choked up. I thought I'd get used to it, but apparently not yet. Glad school is off to a good start.

And, yea for high school crushes. :)

PS-5:30!?!?! Holy crap that is early!

Natalie said...

ahh...school! Do you notice the house stays cleaner, longer? Did the PTA give you tissues for the first day of kindergarten? I love when they do that bc I totally need them!

Robin Fisher said...

Since Adam is a big 4th grader, he just had me drop him off in the drop-off lane. He did turn around and yell "THREE!" Which is our code for "I Love You" and I yelled back "FOUR" (I love you, too.)

Johnson Family said...

great job, mom! They are happy because you give them great love and confidence. Well done!