
Today is Big Miss's Birthday. Another year older, another year wiser? We hope so, but she is a teenager and if there is anything I've learned it's that sometimes the 'wiser' is slow in coming. As of the end of July both girls have been with us a year. I can't believe it has only been a year. Sometimes it feels like forever. You know, in a good way. All joking aside, Big Miss has been a joy to have in our home.
Last night she had a luau party and then a few friends slept over. We haven't done many sleepovers, and at 2:30 this morning, when I was awoken to the sound of shuffling cards (Uno? Phase 10?), I realized why. Today we are doing a family party.


In honor of her birthday, here are seventeen facts about Big Miss:
- Big Miss rolls her eyes so much I can actually hear it. I'm honestly concerned she may pull something.
- She is extremely loyal to friends and family.
- Big Miss is a fighter. If you back her in a corner, she will come out swinging. This has caused problems and we routinely remind her she needs to be a lover not a fighter. We are hoping the continual reinforcement will sink in.
- Big Miss is very social, but can be shy in new situations and will be pretty quiet until she feels comfortable.
- She loves to do hair and is planning on studying cosmetology. I think she'll be really good at it and I'm super excited to have a hairstylist in the family.
- Big Miss has beautiful strawberry blond hair with gorgeous curls.
- Big Miss likes to tease. For instance, her newest favorite tease is to pull gently on her curls and say, 'Boing!' and then motion back and forth between my hair and hers saying, 'Straight. Curly. Straight. Curly.' The stinker.

- Big Miss is a good worker. She may complain about a chore, but she gets it done and does it well.
- Big Miss likes to try new things, will want to do it every chance she gets, but then get cold to it and move on to something else never wanting to do the other thing again. Bowling is an example of this.

- I realize this is a teenager thing, but there is a direct relationship between Big Miss's disposition and whatever a boy is (or isn't) paying attention to her.
- Big Miss loves tuna. She could eat a whole can by herself. Well, with mayo. I had to limit her to one can a week.
- Big Miss introduced Darren and me to Hot Cheetos. And I love them. Dang it.
- Big Miss likes to sing and will sing with me in the car. As of yet she has not joined me when I sing in stores.
- She is generally a patient older sister, but if she is annoyed watch out. I've observed that teenage annoyance is like the sun to little siblings -- Little Miss is drawn to it and will help to ratchet the annoyance up a couple notches.

- Big Miss is thoughtful. She is often the first one to suggest we do something to help when she sees or hears of an other's suffering.
- Big Miss feels more than ready to drive. I know this because she 'helps' me when I drive. She helps me watch for other cars while backing, tells me to turn off my blinker, asks why I didn't turn at the last corner, reminds me there is road construction on certain streets... I could go on.
- We love having Big Miss as part of our family. She is a bright light in our lives.
Happy Birthday! Here is to another good year.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
10 comments:
Happy Birthday! I can't believe it's been a year since you got them, but then, this last year has been the fastest one of my entire life! That cake is adorable. I'm excited to have a naturally curly haired beautician in the family too. I need all the help I can get with Abby and Brinly. :o)
That year flew by! I am dreading the teenage years. Ellie already acts like one and she is only 9. Happy Birthday Big Miss. I am glad you all have eachother! (verification word...forude) :)
Stacy to a T!!!!
Tell her we will call her tomorrow during the day.
I love getting to know this delightful teenager! I have to tell you what someone once told me.
Teenagers are brainless.
This fact is confirmed every time a teenager rolls their eyes.
Remind them that when they roll their eyes they are actually checking to see if their brain is still there!
Yea Brenda, for being the first brave soul to try out the waters of 'parents of a teen'. I love to hear about the good, the bad and the ugly. The weirdest part is that it doesn't seem that long ago that WE were the teenagers. It wasn't THAT long ago, right? :) Happy Birthday Big Miss! Awesome cake...luau party theme-awesome! Hope all the celebrations are/were fun!
Happy Birthday, Stac-a-roo! We're glad you were born!
Has it already been a year? Happy Day-Day! What a cute cake. I love the "teenagers checking their brains' quote, I'll have to remember it for later!
Happy Bday!! Cool cake :)
HaPpY BiRtHdAy! Cute cake! Good job! You guys make a wonderful family!
Happy Birthday!! Just remember, You are BATMAN and I am ROBIN!
Post a Comment