Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Truth Revealed

I updated my Goodreads today with the books I read in August. I've noticed a shift in the last two months. Here is a rundown of the number of books I've read in the past five months:

April - 9
May - 12
Jun - 10
July - 4
August - 4

In July half of the books were books on CD, meaning they were listened to while driving to work; in August, three of the four were books on CD. What this all boils down to is that kids have so completely taken up my time that I no longer have time to read. Scratch that, I am not making time to read. But seriously, I am so hashed by the time bedtime is here that the only thing on my mind is bed.

All of you who asked me how I read so much now know the truth. I am opening the floor for any, "I knew it!" or Nelson like "Heh heh! You can't read." you feel like throwing my way.

Next month, I'm going to try for 5 books. Wish me luck...

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

10 comments:

Courtney said...

I think it's great that you have a reason not to get all your reading done!

Trish said...

I've noticed my hobbies and the time I spend at them have drastically changed with kids. It just seems like some things don't fit or like you said, I'm too tired to enjoy them as much.

Becky said...

Reading is highly over rated. You need to preserve your eye sight and how better to do it then by listening to books. That's one of my favorite things to do in the car. Really, I have a hard time going anywhere unless I have something to listen to in the car, meaning a book. It seems I am always experiencing two stories at once. The one I listen to in the car and then the one I'm actually picking up and reading. Depends on the book but sometimes listening to it can be so much more entertaining.

Liz said...

I notice that I go through phases with my reading. One month I'll read 7-10 books and have a book in my hand at all times. The next month I might read 2-3 books and just be lazy about it. I also start reading books and if I can't get into them or don't like the subject matter, I stop. That takes up time too, but I don't count those books as being "read." Those poor librarians must think I'm ignoring my children with the number of books I check out!!

D.B. said...

I'm lucky to read the good word and my text book on a given day/week. If I do make it thru a leisurely book it is only because someone or something in my family or house is getting neglected/sacrificed in order to read. Good luck with that.

Jacqui said...

I agree with Liz. I don't waste my time on books that don't catch my interest. If I'm not dying to stay awake until 2am reading, it's probably not worth my time :)

It'll all even out to a solid 6 books a month soon, Bren.

I also think you should count the children's books you're reading to Little Miss.

And don't you think it'd be interesting to read Big Miss's English book assignments, just so you know what she's reading?

Christi said...

Oh, Brenda-don't worry, with time you'll learn to ignore your kids, like I do. :) Of course it does take a darn good book to do it. You're a book lover, so I'm sure you'll find the balance soon enough. And, I agree with Jacqui, aren't you excited to do some high school English reading?

BTW-when I do spend time with my nose in a book, I hope it counts towards teaching the love of reading to my kids...combined with library trips and reading of kid books. Justified, right?

Helen said...

I only stop long enough to read while I am on vacation or on an airplane. (May have something to do with RLS.) My drive to work is too short for books on tape.

I used to read what Cory was reading when she was a teenager and I stopped getting some magazines because I felt their content was inappropriate for her and hence for me, too.

LindsC said...

I knew there was something getting in the way of reading...Thanks for helping me figure this out. :) No really I'm impressed with four. I cannot believe that you read that much you are awesome.

The Morrells said...

Put 'Catching Fire' on your list. I read 'The Hunger Games' because of your reccomendation and now the sequel is out. I can't wait to get it. Kids have totally cramped my reading life too...I hardly ever get to read now, but it makes it easy to find something to read when I do get the opportunity, because I always have a list that is way too long. :)