- I missed going to Friday football games. I think I went to one, maybe two football games the four years I was in high school, and my school was actually good (from what I hear). I didn't paint my face. I didn't buy a pom pom. I didn't glam out and pretend I was enthralled with the game to catch some boy's eye. I wasn't interested. In my defense, I think I was born without the football gene. Darren has been trying to overcome this birth defect for years. Such a patient man.
- I missed the whole Grunge music era. The movement was in full swing while I was in high school. I even wore the un-tucked plaid shirts, but somehow I missed the music. I had friends who made me Nirvana and Pearl Jam tapes and stuff, but it wasn't until I got to college that I popped the tapes in and realized I liked the music. By then Grunge was pretty much over, which is the story of my life -- I'm never in on the cool things from the beginning.
- I missed out on early morning seminary. We had release time and I liked it, but I always wondered what it would be like to have to make the sacrifice to wake up early. Until, that is, this year with Big Miss. I always thought I could handle going to early morning seminary. Not anymore. It is EARLY. I mean, I'm up at that time anyway, but I don't necessarily have to be ready for the whole day. Would I have gotten to school on time if I were up that early? The world will never know.
- I missed out on ditching in high school. You can call me what you like, but it came down to a few things: I hated missing out on something in class, I hated doing make-up work and being behind, I knew I would get caught, and I couldn't sign my mom's name believably enough. I may have ditched once, but knowing me I felt terrible about it once class started. Looking back now I realize it wouldn't have mattered that much. If any of you repeat that to Big Miss, you're fired.
- I missed out on going to prom. I didn't go. Don't cry for me, I survived. I do sometimes think about the line from Pretty in Pink when Iona talks about a cousin or someone who didn't go to prom (I'm going from memory here), "Every so often she feels like she's missing something. She checks her purse, she checks her keys... Everything is there. The only thing she can figure out is that she missed her prom." I was behind enough I'd probably have worn something like this. Wait, Robin, isn't that your first prom dress on the left?

Does it sound like I didn't have any fun during high school? You may be right since my best friend claims she's blocked the whole four years (Hello! We did everything together!). So what did you miss out on during High School? Whatever it was, I'm sure it was over-rated. Have a great long weekend.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
10 comments:
I didn't do any high school sports. Being from Burlington, that's REALLY different. I tried to make up for it by being involved in about everything else, still I missed out on that.
Good luck on the peaches...sticky, sticky work. :o)
Brenda, you never would have made it to early morning seminary. You probably wouldn't have gotten a passing mark and would have had to go to church twice on Sunday to make it up :)
I can't believe you never ditched. I'm pretty sure I missed at least 1/4 of my senior year. Uh, I think mom knew that. But I would have gotten away no problem until I got a parking violation and the Dean sent for me and happened to notice my absences. Whoops. Good thing I had all those "notes" from mom in my backpack :) Really, do you think the dean honestly believe I would have only missed my calculus class if I had an eye appointment 3 times in one month.
But hey, I graduated. :) And without any tardies :)
You know, I loved early morning seminary but that was only because it happened to have the best teacher ever! I was in it because we had band practice after that, so you could say that we had early-early morning seminary. As with the whole band thing came the HS football games. You didn't miss out on much though it was fun hanging out with your fellow band geeks if you were into that kind of thing. Now as far as ditching goes, well, I too didn't do it but when it comes to forging signatures, I must say I am an expert and probably could go into a disreputable career with that skill. I loved that quote from Pretty in Pink but I don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be and you didn't miss anything vital. You seem to be somewhat of a non-conformist and to go just because it was expected might be out of character ;)
So fun to learn all this about you :)!! Well... I had hard time thinking about anything I missed. I really experienced all of the typical High School stuff. I did however miss out on the whole high school boyfriend thing. It wasn't that I wasn't interested in boys, because I was for sure, but friends was just so much less complicated and I liked it better that way!! :) I didn’t have my first “boyfriend” until 3 months before I graduated high school and it only lasted 2 months… after that I was actually glad I missed all the high school boyfriend drama :)!! I let my friends deal with that stuff and I had tons of fun!
Brenda! I KNOW we went to more games than that...I think you've blocked it out. I'm glad we could forge through those fun-filled (deprived?) years together. You are my BFF 4ever.
And, I still am thankful we didn't have early morning sem. Wowsers.
PS-Prom...wild cherry night wasn't it?
Yup, that purple one on the right looks kind of similar. However, the sleeves aren't nearly poofie enough :) I had a great high school experience, but I think I only went to a few games, too. There were always other things to do. However, I think Jodi and I went so we could see Michael Williams.
I was amazed that you did field hockey....I mean who would want to run that much? At least that's what I thought at the time.
Anyway - why didn't we got to football games???
But after prom was all that mattered anyway...we had the world's best after prom.
I have to admit that I also have regretted never skipping class. I didn't think there was anything so fun that it would be worth facing my parents if they found out, but now I think that everyone needs to at least carry on the "senior skip day" tradition. Then I would have had more to talk about at my recent ten year reunion. Although I probably could have made something up and most of them wouldn't have remembered enough to catch on.
Well let's see, I've often felt like I wasn't myself, I was too worried about what everyone else thought, but maybe that was myself then and I wanted to be my college self in high school. I missed soccer, snowboarding and mtn. biking; I blame it on geography, my school was too small and didn't offer these sports. I also didn't date enough, same girlfriend for 2 yrs, not so smart in high school; but if you date a lot in H.S. your accused of being a player or worse. H.S. what a mess, college was better I would say.
Post a Comment