Friday, July 3, 2009

It's Friday, I'm in Love

Saturday we visited something we've never done before -- the Greeley Stampede. Okay, we have been to a concert (*cough* Kelly Clarkson), but it was years ago. And dark. This time we didn't acutally go to a concert or rodeo, but we walked around the booths, people watched, and enjoyed the free concert in the park. Maybe next year we'll try to get tickets to something, but it makes it hard when we usually leave town around the 4th AND it is the Greeley INDEPENDENCE Stampede. Today's Friday Five are some of the things we did/saw at the Greeley Stampede. Here's the list:


  1. Tons of booths, but this was by far my favorite -- Dunk the Mayor. First time I've actually seen one of these booths in real life. Usually I see it on TV. Anywho, we came by right as a local high school baseball coach was taking a turn. Very satisfying to watch, but not because I have something against the man.

  2. Rodeo royalty.

  3. The western art. Beautiful, and it made we want to go to more art museums.

  4. Remember me telling you about some of the things that scare me? Number five on that list was carnival rides. Well folks, I faced that fear head on last Saturday and lived to tell the gory details. The gory, nearly losing my dinner, possible whiplash, details. Carnies still scare me, but I'll concede that the rides were fun in a 'I'm taking my life in my own hands and trusting the bolts' kind of way.


  5. The daily parade of long horns. I wish I had something for scale, but I did not want to get close to these guys. They were HUGE. Very impressive.


I definitely recommend stopping by the Stampede for a few hours if you live close. Whether you go or not, I hope you have a great Fourth of July.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

7 comments:

Becky said...

I wonder how many of those bulls poke their fellow friend bowls in the behind while making that route. That looks like some good 4th of July fun. Carnival rides are scary and nothing like real amusement park rides. I think it's because of the compactness of it all. The carnival ones are the only ones that I get sick on and I don't. When traveling between Utah and CA to go home from school in the summer I would always stop by that state line roller coaster to wake myself up, wow, what a fun ride! Happy 4th of July!

Liz said...

Did you ever get a chance to go to Cheyenne Frontier Days when you were in Laramie? It sounds similar and we always had a blast. I don't remember a parade of bulls though...

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Brett and I went every year we lived there. (We went to the same Kelly Clarkson concert. Loved it!!) I miss the Greeley Stampede. I am glad you both had fun.

Christi said...

That sounds like some good hometown fun! And, I am totally impressed that you braved the rides...you are totally livin' on the edge, girl.

Happy 4th!

ps-we'll also be living on the edge...this is the first year we aren't planning on going to a fireworks show-we're doing driveway fireworks...YIKES!

Ruth said...

I went to the Greeley Stampede rodeo this weekend!! It was a great rodeo!!... for Colorado jk!!

LindsC said...

I've missed a couple posts..oops! I'm proud of you conquering your carnival ride fear. I also fear have a fear of rides, but not just carnival rides.

Laura Ann Terry said...

Carnies freak me out too! I hope you guys had a great holiday! Looks like it was fun.