Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I Have a Yarn to Tell

There are about 10 different things I need to blog about right now, but this topic took precedent. It is embarrassing, and thus humorous. Remember me telling you about my addictive personality? I came face to face with the aftermath last night.

We've been reorganizing our two extra bedrooms and I decided we needed to put our extra blankets in a cedar chest Mike my brother-in-law made us. That meant that I had to clean out any yarn left over from my crocheting addiction. I totally thought there were blankets beneath the yarn, but no -- the entire thing was full of yarn. And when I say 'full of yarn' I mean chucky-jam full of yarn.

This doesn't look like a lot, but trust me, it is.


At last count I had 17 skeins of yarn, 5 of which were double size. Apparently I went through a cream phase because there were 2 double size cream skeins.

Here are three skeins of the same color -- perfect for a baby blanket. The blanket never materialized.


In addition to full skeins were the balls of used yarn from other projects. I stopped counting at thirty because I wasn't sure if I should include the small left overs I had kept in the running total.

This is leftover from a blanket I made Jacqui some years ago. She likes orange.

Here is the empty chest where everything was stuffed. I guess technically there were blankets in the cedar chest... One lining the bottom. One unfinished baby blanket (you can a see a corner of it in the picture). One afghan where I ran out of white thread and couldn't find yarn with the same texture, so it was never edged.

The blanket may look big, but trust me, it isn't. In an earlier time it might have been considered a 'lap rug'.


There is also this gem that I vaguely remember making. Obviously I didn't like it enough to starch it to stiffness.

I'm not sure where it was supposed to go. On the back of my plastic covered couch?


Overall, the reorganization was cathartic. After I'd sorted the yarn I wanted to keep and tossed the tiny bits I knew I'd never use, I started imagining projects I could start -- afghans with my favorite yarns, new dish clothes with the cotton yarn, a baby blanket or two...

Heaven knows I have enough pattern books.


The huge skeins of cream yarn are a different beast entirely. I am at a loss for a cream project.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

9 comments:

Aaron said...

Hilarious! Isn't it great that yarn "keeps" so you can rediscover an old addiction? It would be really bad if you opened the cedar chest and everything had rotted, right? You can teach all your YW a new skill and use the cream yarn to do it...

Jacqui said...

Think of it as your year supply of yarn for your food storage.

You could make some curtains for your bedroom with the cream yarn, but beware of any patterns with lots of holes. That could be embarrassing.

OR! I can see it now. Surprise Darren with a pair of pants for your anniversery (nearest endearing holiday I could think of). He'll love it! Again, avoid holey patterns :)

I'm full of good advice.

I have the twin to that daisy afgan. I love it. (That was just to make everyone else jealous :)

Robin Fisher said...

two words: Baby Marie :)

Laura Ann Terry said...

You think that's bad my mom has a room floor to ceiling of yarn, true story:) Good luck on using it!

curt and cathy said...

What a confession. I looked in my cedar chest the other day and before I opened it I couldn't even think of one thing that was in there. I found a lot of treasures.

Helen said...

It reminds me of my project drawer of unfinished craft projects started in RS. Some years back I finally cleared out the drawer, gave away what I could and got rid of the rest and the guilt! Robin has a very good solution for you, Brenda. Jacqui's solution brought up great visual images and laughter. :-)

Trish said...

Wow! I've been going through my fabric and the yarn is nothing! Maybe we could come up with some good projects, your yarn+my fabric. :o)

Ruth said...

ROTFL!!! haha... Brenda I love you :) that is soooo funny!!Don't be embarrassed; everyone has their obsession!!

LindsC said...

You have quite the gift. I love the flower afghan. I'd love a knitting project. :)