Friday, July 24, 2009

It's Friday, I'm in Love

Hey all! Long time no see. I've been taking a little break from the blogging world. Darren and I have some exciting/stressful/scary/ultimately good things going on right now. I'm excited to share, but the time isn't right yet. Soon, though. I'm honestly not sure what to do for Friday Five today. I've been so focused on other things that the silly fluffy things I usually write about just didn't materialized like they normally do. I'm afraid you'll have to take what you can get. Here's the list:
  1. We did see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince last weekend. We went to the drive-in across town. That's right, there is still a drive-in where we live. Go ahead and be jealous. Anyway, we didn't stay for the second movie of the double feature because we were exhausted, but we really liked HBP. I thought they did a good job with what the material.
  2. I've realized I know nothing about children. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. I have an abundance of nieces and nephews, friends with kids, and 4 months as the junior nursery leader under my belt, but I'm completely clueless. Is there an instruction manual I can get from the library?
  3. I'm reading Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. I take that back. I'm savoring Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen, almost as if it is a good friend I haven't met yet. Does anyone else look for books that will be 'friends'? I've only been able to snatch time here and there to read Sarah Dessen's latest novel, but rest assured I've been making good use of the 'here and there' time.
  4. Lately we've been in the habit of only buying apples for lunches, but last weekend I splurged and bought a bunch of fruit: bananas, strawberries, grapes, cherries, and cantaloupe. We've been enjoying the change all week. And just for the record, "We cantaloupe, we cantaloupe!" (lettice, lettice) never gets old.
  5. I have a great husband. He amazes me with how good and wonderful and loving and supportive he can be. It's not that I didn't think he had it in him or anything. It's more that I'm pleasantly surprised at how and when those traits manifest themselves. I'm a lucky girl to have a great partner. It's Friday, I'm in love.
Have a good weekend. Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

15 comments:

Robin Fisher said...

Since you asked:

Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood by Jim Fay and Charles Fay

Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster Cline and Jim Fay

The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell

Not that I am a perfect parent, but all of these books speak to my heart and have worked well for our family. I would send you my copies, but I am always referencing them. Check your library, but I am sure you will want to buy your own copy.
You are awesome...."Say 'yes Aunt Robin" :)

Jacqui said...

I second Robin's suggestions, mostly because she also told me about them and I found them supremely helpful.

You spelled Lettuce wrong. Did you do that on purpose? It was vexing my soul. I'm surprised Robi didn't pick up on that...

I haven't read SArah Dessen in a while. I'll have to check her out again.

Funny you should mention apples because I'm enjoying one right now. Mmm. Delicious Golden!

D.B. said...

I'm intrigued now, might have connected the dots, but now's not the time to guess. So, I'll wait and see. I've read one of the above books, don't know which one. Pretty good, however, every parent and child is different and it's a whole lot of trial and error.

Trish said...

Yea! A post! I also liked the books Robin suggested and also really liked the Love and Logic book for toddlers and preschoolers. Were you really looking for an answer to that question? :o) I find I know less and less every day. :o)

Ruth said...

What the HECK Brenda...

Going and changing the fruit!! And then not stopping at one new fruit... you went with a wonderful assortment!! jk! Very cute; I love the confession of the splurge :) Stevo and I were giggling when we read that!! I did that with the vegetables this week. Instead of only having green beans, I made homemade mashed potatoes and bought a cucumber, green and red peppers, carrots, celery and chopped them all up so we could have a relish tray to snack on. Someday we'll have to combine out fruit/vegetable splurges!!

Laura Ann Terry said...

I saw Harry Potter too. Now I'm waiting to see tha final installment. On parenting, sometimes "Gut Instinct" is the best course. Fruit splurges are always good, enjoy!

The Mrs. said...

We cantloupe! But o honeydew!

And Lauren loves you- so you have to be doing something right. Kids can see into the heart, so take it as a compliment.

Brett said...

The whole kids thing....it really is a trial and error thing. Brett and I are still in the error phase. :)

I am here if you need anything. I have an idea of what is going on... so seriously... if you need anything!

Brett said...

I didn't realize I was signed in under Brett's account. Sorry...this is me, Angela. Just thought I would clarify. :)

LindsC said...

I love you Brenda and I always love reading your posts. Can't wait to here all about the exciting changes in your life. :)

Christi said...

My response:
1. I think I have o.d. on HP. I just feel like okay, let's get this over with already. I heard the next book will be broken into 2 movies, so that sort of adds to my feelings of endless HP. Sorry if you think this is all blaspheme. The movie was good...typical HP.
2.So, the cluelessness with kids...I think that's just part of life. And trust me, the more youi have, the less you know. But, it's nice to try to figure it out. Robin's books are good. 1,2,3 Magic has worked pretty well for us, too. Some hybrid system of whatever suits you personally seems to be best. Good luck with that.
3. Is that a new Sarah Dessen? Is it a bit lighter and fluffier than some of her others? Can't wait for the final report. Thanks for turning me on to SD. And, thanks for being my YA book buddy.
4. Funny, I just told Tom I'm going back to only buying apples, grapes, bananas, and oranges. I keep throwing out plums, peaches, cherries, nectarines, kiwi, mango, berries(when we don't eat them fast enough) and melons. We've gotta get back to basics.
5. Husbands are great. Glad to know you like yours as much as I like mine. :)

And, I'm curious.... FYI I was going to give you a call today, even before I read this. I just wanted you to know that, so that it doesn't seem like I'm just calling to be nosy.

You're terrific. I'm glad to have Friday's Five back. :)

Heidi said...

Brenda, I just love you. You are simply wonderful.

Robin Fisher said...

just checking....

Robin Fisher said...

checking again....

Robin Fisher said...

and again....