Monday, December 15, 2008

Squeeze My Cheeks

We had a whirl wind of a weekend, as usual. Saturday morning was the annual ornament exchange. Some of the ladies made some really cute ones. Check them out.



I think each is cute: the snowman CD and juice top lid (my CD was a used Indigo Girls. Cha ching!), the cool peppermint sucker (I can't figure out how she made it), the paper Santa (SO cool), the beautiful angel and button wreath, the funky cool heart, the great Santa Star, the two pretty glass and frosted ornaments, and the miniature Christmas tree hanger embroidery.

I look forward to the ornament exchange every year, mostly to see how much more creative the other ladies are than me. I start thinking about it early, but somehow this year I feel like I fell a bit short. We all agree that after making 12 of something, you just don't think it looks cute anymore, but this year I really out-did myself.

Here is my entry.


I got the idea last New Years from Miss Ginny in Greybull, but modified it a little. They are reindeer "Squeeze my cheeks and I'll give you a kiss" ornaments. Because they were reindeer, I thought the ladies needed 9 each. Last January, that seemed practical.

  • Around Thanksgiving, when I started making them, I thought 5 for each lady would be sufficient.

  • Around 11:00 Friday night, I figured the ladies could get by with 3.

  • At 3:00 early Saturday morning, I decided they'd only get 2.

  • After I realized I could not string the small bells I'd gotten and would have to sew them on the small ribbon, I decided 1 for each lady would have to do. That was around 6:00 Saturday morning. At that point I'd already decided not to go to bed at all.

I haven't stayed up over twenty-four hours since college. I looked pretty bad. Seriously, I had a 'step back and gasp at the bags under my eyes' moment.

I think the reindeer turned out cute, but it would have been so much better to have more. Searching for one 'Squeeze my cheeks' isn't very fun, and not very reasonable to keep refilling. You need more chocolate than that.

I know I need more chocolate after reliving this craft. Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

11 comments:

Bryce and Heather said...

How did you make it? It's so cute, you have to post the instructions! And what a great idea to have an ornament exchange, I wish I lived closer!!!

LindsC said...

I love your reindeers. They truned out great, even though it only came down to one per person. I was wondering how you were going to do all that work good job!

I had to laugh at your being late post mostly because I'm very much like you! So I don't have any advice or motivation that you probablly haven't thought of. :)

P.S. I think more than one chocolate is also necessary.

Heidi said...

Why didn't I know you pulled an all-nighter?! We should have definitely discussed that! I was up until 4:30am and I was thinking man I wish I had these gals cell phone numbers to text them and see who else was up. (James told me not to tell, but he finished mine the next morning for me while I was baking and getting myself ready.) I say next year we get together and make the ornaments TOGETHER all night! Then we could all laugh about how hideous they start looking after #6.

Liz said...

I love all the ornaments!! I wish that I was that crafty. I can't cook, scrapbook, sing, or sew. I'm a horrible mormon mom!!! :)

The Mrs. said...

You stayed up all night?! I don't know if I could do that, even if I had a sick baby, I would have to catch a few minutes here and there.

Your ornaments are way cute!

Carrie said...

I think those are the cuttest little ornaments I have ever seen. I laughed when you squeezed it and its mouth opened. SO FUN...and great job!! The other ornaments are neat as well, I really like the peppermint sucker.

Leslie said...

Cute reindeer! I tried making these once and they are TIME consuming! I kept changing the pattern to make them smaller and smaller and a bit smaller still!! Yours look great though!

Jacqui said...

Ya, this is much cuter than what I imagined when you were describing it in your no-sleep delirium :)

Great idea!

Kelli said...

An all nighter! How collegiate of you! They turned out so cute! What a fun, fun tradition!

Anna Beal said...

What a fun idea! We'll have to try that.

Adam Jensen said...

So cute! I miss that :) Heidi invited me but I thought it would be nice for someone who lived there to be included. But I miss it! and you!