Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'm addicted, but this isn't news to you...

Bitter Larry is one of my favorite bloggers and this entry, like most of his, just made me giggle, probably because it hits a little too close to home.

Remember me telling you about staying up all night Friday to Saturday? Well, during those wee hours of the morning I spent struggling to put the ornaments together, I kept myself entertained by watching all the television shows I had recorded on my DVR for the past week or so.

Now, I don't know Bitter Larry, but it is pretty obvious that I watch WAY more television than he does. Besides the primetime shows I've been watching, I've also started recording Gilmore Girls reruns (I missed the first 3 or 4 seasons when it was on the first time and am now just catching up. Lucky me, ABC Family shows an episode a day). Has anyone else noticed how satisfying it is to be able to go directly to the next episode of a show after finishing one? If I were smarter, I would cancel my cable, stop watching any new television, enroll in netflix, and order season after season of shows I've missed out on. The one problem with this idea is professional football. My husband would never agree to getting rid of our television -- too many missed sporting events.

And ordering past seasons of television shows isn't really giving up television. Could I give up television? I tell myself I could, but if I hadn't had television to entertain me while I did the ornaments, what would I have done to keep my mind from the edge of sleep? I would have popped in a movie or maybe a book on tape. I do not believe I would have finished the ornaments BEFORE the fateful Friday night.

And I don't know if it was lack of sleep or what, but huge chunks of my memory ARE gone from that night. I'm guessing it's somewhere in Stars Hollow.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

13 comments:

Jacqui said...

Addicted to TV? I hear the church has a new 12 step addiction program that's fantastic. Maybe you should look into it...

Anna Beal said...

Amen! We got rid of Dish at the beginning of the summer..and although it is nice not having Alex planted in front of it, I really miss DVR abilities and something entertaining to watch. TV shows on DVD have SAVED me!! I am watching Grey's Anatomy right now and love going from episode to episode! I don't know what I'll do when I have to wait for the next show. I do have a list to watch though. The libraries here are amazing...they have EVERYTHING!

Liz said...

I have all 7 seasons of Gilmore Girls on DVD if you need them!! I started watching the show during the second season and never stopped. Don't worry, if I had any will power, I'd cancel my cable too!! The only thing that stops me from being addicted is my DVR!! I love watching my new episodes later when the kids are in bed.

Becky said...

How do people live without TVs? Or some visual source for information? This is 2008 and the era of the Television plus. We can keep diminishing with each era, TV, down to Radio, down to Silent film, down to theater, down to the side show where they guy swallows the live chicken. I guess it is just a matter of what decade you want to pretend you live in.

Jacqui said...

You forgot "The Holiday" on your christmas list.

And it won't let me vote some more? What's up with that?

Jacqui said...

And where's your friday five? Cory and Robin haven't updated in ages, so I'm going through withdrawl.

Jacqui said...

Don't you love it when you open your blog and you have lots more messages than when you checked it before?

That never happens to me.

Jacqui said...

THere. I have singlehandedly doubled your comment count.

You're welcome.

And I do think this is a very funny post. I even read Bitter Larry's post about it and laughed my head off at the "putting thier ears to the ground to detect trouble." I'm seeing visions of superheros, actually.

My word verifaction is rable. I think rablerouser. I that a word? why doesn't blogger use real words in the verification? It drives me bananas. I ususally form some sort of real word out of the scramble of letters and my mixed up brain actually types what I'm thinking and not what i'm reading and then I have to retype a new word...visicious(sp?) cycle.

Jacqui said...

See! Look! There I go again. Typing faster than I think. It's a gift really. That and my inability to spell check. Pretty amazing!

word verification: hotlycl

Translation in my brain: hotcycle

See how this could get confusing?

Jacqui said...

Now I'm doing this strictly to see what I can come up with for the verification: urealser.

I almost typed it just as I said I would: urealaser. I'd hate to be sliced open with that laser. Eww.

Are lightsabers lasers? A urea lightsaber? That would smell gross. especially when what's his name gets his hand cut off. Burning flesh AND urea. Double eww.

Carrie said...

Thanks for the Christmas card! What a cute idea, I loved it!! It was fun to read those things about you guys!!:)

Jacqui said...

Hey! I didn't get a christmas card! That's IT! I'm outta this family!

lerminit. pearlmint.

Heidi said...

I love that I am a "non-tv type"! That was funny! Will you call me if we ever get invaded by Russians or there is a flood?