Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Holiday Movies

I took a little informal 'Best Christmas Movie' quiz on another person's blog yesterday and it got me thinking. Do I have a Christmas movie I watch every year? Is there a movie that makes Christmas feel like Christmas?

I have vague memories of watching The Muppet Movie on Christmas Eve. After our other Christmas Eve activities (ie, reading Luke 2) our parents would let us stay up a little bit longer to watch Kermit and his friends before 'Santa' rang his bells, at which time we had to be in our beds immediately. Anyway, for a long time hearing 'Rainbow Connection' was a pretty special thing for me.

But that's not really a 'Christmas Movie.' Funny enough, I actually remember seeing A Christmas Movie in the theater. Crazy.

But it isn't my favorite Christmas movie, either. I think I know my favorite Christmas movie, but I decided to do an informal quiz myself and have you tell me what your favorite Christmas movie is. If I've forgotten to put your favorite up there, just let me know. Also, I would love to hear why you picked what you did...

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

9 comments:

Liz said...

Here are my favorites:
*White Christmas
*It's a Wonderful Life
*Mickey's Christmas Carol
*Small One
*While You Were Sleeping
*Sleepless in Seattle
*Gremlins
I realize these last three aren't specifically Christmas movies, but they take place at Christmas time. I watch them every year!!

Remember, Gizmo is given at a Christmas gift!!

Carrie said...

I LOVE A Christmas Story!! I watch it every year, and I watch it over and over. I will never tire of it. THe reason I like it is because every thanksgiving it would come on for 24 hours, and my siblings and I would watch it all day long. GREAT TIMES!!

Jacqui said...

I'm the one who voted for Elf.

"Francisco. Ooo! That's fun to say! Francisco!"

Becky said...

"It's a Wonderful Life"
" The Christmas Story"
"Micky's Christmas Carol"
"The Christmas Carol" one of the b/w versions.
"The Bishop's Wife"

Kelli said...

What a great idea! I love Christmas Vacation because of all the great quotes! I love It's a Wonderful Life because, well, it's a wonderful life! I love White Christmas. That is my Christmas wrapping movie. I could go on but I won't. I think I like Christmas movies.
I loved hearing that you also read Luke 2 and have to be to bed right after hearing Santa's bells. It must have come from the Rencher side. Does he ring them during Jingle Bells? I tell you my heart still pounds so fast when I hear those bells! Love it.

The Mrs. said...

My favorite Christmas movie: The Little Match Girl, the version with the girl from The Cosby Show. This isn't the one that I watch most frequently (that's White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street) but it is the one with the best memories attached. This was the movie that my mom would actually sit down and watch the whole thing with me, I love remembering that time with her.

Heidi said...

How The Grinch Stole Christmas and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. I love the narration in the Grinch and the latter because my mom would read us that book every December and she would end up rolling on the floor with laughter with tears in her eyes and we would just look at her like she was crazy. Now we get it though.

I like all the other ones too. I just watched While You Were Sleeping and Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas. Home Alone is a classic here for the kids too. Wow, I've got a lot to watch yet!

Anna Beal said...

1. Its a Wonderful Life
2. Mickey's Christmas Carol
3. Rudolph, Frosty, Cris Cringol (cartoons)
4. Holiday Inn
5. White Christmas
6. The Family Man
7. The Santa Clause (Tim Allen)
8. The Grinch (cartoon)
9. Miricle on 34th Street (old one)
10. Christmas Story
11. Christmas Vacation
I have more...but that would be a REALLY LONG LIST :>

Michelle said...

I've got one word for you. Elf. (yes, will ferrell.) nothing else matters. :)