Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Some Randomness and 'Home'stead Sickness

So, Darren has been keeping me pretty busy every night with the outside projects. We built our railroad tie garden on Saturday and I'm really pleased how it turned out. We haven't started planting yet, but soon. Monday, we (meaning Darren) dug up and over turned the vacant dirt patch beside the garden and seeded it (I helped with the seeding, but Darren did the hard part). We also 'built' a chicken wire fence to keep Bailey out while it grows. When I post pictures you'll see why I use the word 'built' loosely. Yesterday we mowed, raked, and fertilized our front yard.
During the thick of the work yesterday evening, one of the Elder's Quorum presidency called to get Darren's home teaching report. When I told him Darren was outside raking the dead grass in our yard, he asked if I was being the slave driver. I laughed. (No, stop, you're killing me *wipe tears of laughter*). Anyway, pictures are coming soon.

My mom and I went out to lunch today to celebrate Mother's Day. She'll be gone on the actual day (Sunday) visiting her mom, so I wanted to catch her before then and treat her to lunch. We've gotten to do lunch a couple of times, which is just one more wonderful outcome of this new job in Denver -- I get to see my mom more often. Anyway, she and my dad were in Utah last weekend at a family meeting, so of course I pumped her for information.

Most of the discussion during lunch was about one of my favorite places on earth - The Rencher Homestead. It made me kind of homesick. Our lunch chat was more shop talk rather than reminiscing about good times camping or anything, but just the thought of the place made me long to be there.

I totally stole this picture from Jacqui, who got it from the funeral, but I didn't have another picture handy.

Is it because Darren and I haven't been in a while? Is it because we are working so much I'm longing for a break? Is it because I like to wake up in the morning in a tent and smell the wonderful crisp, slightly cow tinged, air? Is it because I know there is peace, and stillness, and quiet, and love? It is probably all of those things.

In college my roommates and I made mix tapes of songs that make your heart hurt. I'd say The Homestead is the 'mix tape' answer to a place that makes my heart hurt. But, you know, in a longing to be there kind way.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

6 comments:

Kelli said...

I was thrilled to hear from my mom that most of your family will be there for the 4th of July! I have to say one of my all time favorite memories of the Homestead is that night you and Darren and Jaren and Leslie and Dave and I sat up late telling stories. Does the phrase "Sing a Hymn to bring back the Spirit" ring any bells?

Brenny said...

Kelli, I laughed for 5 minutes straight thinking about that story. TOO funny. I agree, that night was one of my favorite memories at the Homestead -- Darren still talks about it, too.

Jacqui said...

Is that when Darren and Kelli stopped being on normal speaking terms?

I think we're all feeling a little homestead sickness. I had a conversation with Robi about it today too.

Kelli said...

Yeah, I realized Darren was just like another brother so all politeness and niceness was gone! Good, good times. sigh.

Heidi said...

Um, that had nothing to do with toes or tricks.

Christi said...

I've always felt rather honored that you invited me to go with your family one summer weekend long ago. Thanks!