Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Loyal Order of the Stone Bones

Mr. Spinelli, you have a way with wonderful characters.



You were right Steph. I liked it and not just because it had a paleontologist.

I think the best part of the story was how much and often Stargirl thought of others -- picking up small gifts that might be left on doorsteps later, sending unsigned notes of encouragement or congratulations, actively searching for people in need, dropping pennies for people to pick up. I liked how happy she was with herself when she focused on others. How others treated her didn't really matter beause it was her actions that counted.

It is a little embarrassing to admit that my service to others doesn't come close to Stargirl's. Yes, she really went above and beyond, but I feel like I know better and should put forth more effort. Some of the things she did for others are things I can easily do but don't. This book wasn't a wake up call or anything, just a little nudge that I can do better at showing my love for others. Anyway, I do have a friend who I think gets pretty close to a 'Stargirl' effort. And she is amazing.

Heidi posted a quote we had on the board during sunday school on Sunday, and I think it fits: The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy -- Kalu Jeho Kalu (sp?).

Service is a powerful thing.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

3 comments:

Tammie said...

Hey love that you always post your books up! I get quite a few from your list. Here's one that you might like, The Little lady Agency it's really fun.I can't remember the author's name but check it out!

Brenny said...

I definitely like book suggestions. I'll put it on my list!

Kelli said...

New book to read! Yay! I love the quote. Thanks for sharing.