I actually wasn't planning on posting today, but I read a post that gave me a bit of hope and definitely made me think. I thought I would share just a bit of the scattered thoughts I've been having.
So, the news keeps updating us on the outfall from the cyclone in Myanmar and the earthquake in China. The death toll numbers go up every day and there was so much destruction. The amount of suffering makes my heart hurt and I feel like I should be helping in some way; I also feel like I am so far away and financially not in a place to help very much. I know every little bit helps, but is money really all I have to offer? Don't feel like you have to answer that question.
Maybe subconciously I've been trying to work out answers myself because I wrote this week about the power of service and about helping kids get interested in science. My friend Brandon commented on my science post. He writes a couple of great blogs, and on Net Good he recently posted this, which just seemed to make something click within me.
I do have knowledge and talents to contribute. Maybe right now I can't alleviate the suffering in a way I want to, but that doesn't mean I can't help shape the future. My ideas aren't as well thought out as Brandon's, so I won't write any goals.
Yet.
Thanks for making me think.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
2 weeks ago
7 comments:
Brenny, you make the world a better place, one non-polluting gas station at a time :)
And my day's always better when you're around. So that's something.
I'm loving this week and the frequent posts. :o) I've struggled with some of the same ideas. It's difficult to see so many needs and not know exactly how to contribute. I do feel like I have knowledge and skills to share in situations like this, but at the same time I feel extremely limited in resources like time and money. Even with service closer to home sometimes I feel like I may be doing it at the expense of my family. (Not always, just with some things.) Thanks for giving me something to think about. :o)
Thanks for the props. I should say that I enjoy reading your blog as well.
On donating money...it occurs to me that safe buildings require money (I'm a little slow). The money for buildings has to come from somewhere -It is a necessary part of the solution. If only I had more to give.
I find truth in the cliche starfish story: Every little bit helps.
I might just give up spell checking forever.
During times of disaster, Mike and I have also felt our hearts drawn to help, but not knowing exactly what to do. Here is what we have come up with--We like to contribute to the Church Humanitarian Fund. We find peace in knowing that 100% of the money goes to those in need and not to "operational expenses." We also contribute to the Church's Perpetual Education Fund. I felt prompted to do it after I saw a PBS documentary about "micro credit." There are agencies who lend money to entrepreneurs in 3rd world countries. The amount seems trivial to us--$20 or maybe even $100, but I was AMAZED to see what these people (mostly women, actually) were doing with that little bit of money. I know Micro-credit and Perpetual Education are different things, but similar in concept. Again, I appreciate the fact that the money goes to people who needed it and not to operational expenses.
Finally, there is need everywhere. It is easy to get bogged down if you look at the whole world. How much does it cost us to "do the right thing." To be more polite and forgiving to the people around us. I think it was Voltaire, in the book Candide, when he states that all we can do is tend our little corner of the garden--Colorado, Tennessee, Iraq Get a shovel. There is a lot of work to do.
Whoa, I got dizzy up there on the soap box...I didn't realize how much I had written. Sorry about the novel. :)
I've been thinking about the Humanitarian fund lately, too, so maybe I need to pay attention to the prompting.
I liked the garden quote -- It wasn't soapy, don't worry.
I like that: "Get a shovel." I think I might put it on my wall.
Post a Comment