Friday, May 16, 2008

It's Friday, I'm in Love

It has been a busy and stressful week. I feel like I'm blearily blinking my eyes at this sudden appearance of Friday. Anyway, the anticipation for the next Indiana Jones (coming out next week) is relatively high at the Casey house. Well, at least my anticipation is high; Darren seems as cool and collected as ever. He didn't squeal or anything when I showed him the 'Shia as Mutt' poster we got in the USA Weekend in our Sunday insert last week. Wierd, right? Actually, the merchandising is already making me sick, but we will get to see Indy on screen once again and that is worth it to me. In honor of the movie release, today's Friday Five is a list of the Casey's favorite action/adventure movies:


1. Indiana Jones Trilogy. I know, it's a given, but we watch these so often they had to make the list. Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite, although I still remember the thrill of seeing The Last Crusade in the theater. The Temple of Doom is Darren's favorite, and I'll admit it's grown on me.


2. Goonies. Darren and I have this on DVD and watch it about every 6 months. I've even watched it with the commentary. Only once, okay. I'm not sure if my memory of seeing it in the theater is real or not because the language is kind of bad, which I don't think would've flown with my mom. I don't have a favorite part, either -- it is all fun. I do wonder why ORV (off road vehicle) never took off and SUV did...



3. The Bourne Identity. We like all the Jason Bourne movies, but this is our favorite. We saw it at the cheap seats in Laramie. We hadn't heard much about film and were pleasantly surprised at how good it turned out to be. Matt Damon. Who knew?


4. Independance Day. I still don't think the dog could have made it to the utility door in the tunnel before the huge fireball got him, but everything else in the movie is totally believable. I didn't see this in the theater. I actually didn't see it until I met Darren. Darren, on the other hand, used this as the ultimate cuddle movie during his dating years. I was with Darren when I saw it the first time, but he was cuddling with another girl. Anyway, this is one of those movies that never disappoints us; we enjoy it every time we watch it. And I still get choked up during the President's speech on the Fourth of July.



5. Back to the Future. Love. This. Movie. Darren is known to randomly shout, 'Look at 'er roll. Now we can watch Jackie Gleason while we eat!' Often. I've tried to shout, 'Ronald Reagen? The actor?' whenever President Reagen is mentioned, but I don't always remember. BTTF two and three are good, too, but not like the first one. I don't care how many times I've seen it, I still get tense hoping Marty makes it back. And yes, I've spent time contemplating the space/time continuum.

There are many more we love, but these are our top picks for action/adventure. I debated putting Star Wars on the table as an option, but because it isn't set on earth it didn't make this list. Plus, I think it's in a league of its own. I'd love to hear which movies made your list!

Have a good weekend. Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

10 comments:

The Coolest Allen Family said...

As always, you have GREAT taste!

Kelli said...

Good picks although I have never seen Goonies. I too get a bit teary at the "Our Independence Day" speech. I would totally vote for him based on that speech alone! My list would have some of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and maybe Hunt for Red October and Fugitive.

Logan and Ashley said...

Those movies brought back so many memories. I love it! Can't wait for the new Indiana movie!!

Carrie said...

I am with you on the Goonies. I used to watch that movie a lot as a kid. It has been awhile, but it brings back memories!! Good picks.

Brenny said...

Dr. Richard Kimball!

I did not kill my wife!

I had forgotten about The Fugitive. We have that on VHS but haven't watched it in a while. Good movie pick, Kelli. That should have been on the list...

Robin Fisher said...

Ahh, Brenny, you never stop making me laugh. I think the same thing when someone says, "President Ronald Regan." And of course I totally tear-up during the President's speech in Independence Day.

LKC said...

Thanks for the shout out to BTTF-- the all time greatest movie.

As for the Bourne series: Can any movie with Matt Damon be bad? Even if he's in a movie with a weak plot, the eye candy makes up for it right?

Jacqui said...

I totally remember seeing Last Crusade in the theaters and mom trying to cover my eyes when the bad German drank from the wrong goblet.

I agree with Lindsey on Matt Damon. But if we're talking about good action movies with eye candy, lets give honorable mention to the most recent James Bond. I've never enjoyed James Bond like I did with this new guy.

And Kraig would be upset if I didn't mention X-men. But I don't know if it would make the "all-time" list.

Heidi said...

We bought Goonies a couple of Halloweens ago cuz we thought "It would be so fun to watch it with the kids." WRONG! The language is so bad and they were totally freaked out. (That doesn't say much cuz my kids are pansies!)

I am having a hard time coming up with any others cuz I can't watch too many of these action movies anymore. I take them way too seriously and get way too involved in the characters "lives". I need something with a lighthearted subplot, which most of your list has. (How surprising is it now that my kids are pansies!?)

I do love The Fugitive though!

When you make your list with Star Wars I would add Zathura! I just love that flick.

LindsC said...

wow I've missed a lot. Let us know when you get a new car. I like your thoughts on Service I think that you are right about serving people in ways other than money and things is really good. And back to the furture, classic, gotta love it. :)