Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Top O' The Morning

I don't know if you could tell, but I've been taking a bit of a break from blogging. I finished working in Denver and found myself lost in a swirl of change. Everything is getting done, but blogging has suffered. I'm not ready to go full speed and blog everyday, but hopefully baby steps will help me get back in the groove.


Anywho, today is Darren's 30th birthday. In honor of the day, and because he is one of my favorite topics, here are 30 things about Darren:


  1. He has an A-Type personality.

  2. His A-Type personality serves him very well in his job.

  3. His A-type personality drives his wife nuts sometimes.


  4. Darren has his MBA in Business from the University of Wyoming. I'm very proud of him for getting it.

  5. Darren is a hard worker and has an incredible work ethic, which I know he learned from his parents.


  6. Darren had a paper route growing up, but generally says his first job was helping the elementary school janitor after school when he was in middle school. He calls it his 'first job' because he had to pay taxes.

  7. During high school he worked for a sheet metal company and one night while he was there working alone, his boss surprised him and Darren got two of his fingers smashed. After the surgery Darren was grateful they still looked like fingers. They have scars, and he can't bend one knuckle, but other than that they are fine.

  8. Darren still had the 'club' on his hand from the surgery in his senior pictures, but you can't tell.

  9. There were pins in his hand while the bones healed and one got bent while he was swing dancing with his high school girlfriend. He carried the pins in his wallet for a while.

  10. We don't swing dance, or really any sort of organized dance, but I think it has more to do with my lack of coordination. Darren has rhythm.

  11. Darren is always planning some project even if he is still in the middle of a completely different one; however, he finishes the current project before starting anything else.

  12. Darren grew up in Wyoming and has always been a Wyoming Cowboys fan.


  13. In his ward growing up, he remembers the congregation being split between Wyoming Cowboys fans and BYU fans. I think this is where his dislike of BYU took root.

  14. Darren likes to cheer for the underdog.

  15. He likes sports. All sports. A lot.


  16. His sports knowledge amazes me. We were watching Sweet Home Alabama recently and he made the comment that their two coon dogs were named after an Alabama college coach -- Bear Bryant. It makes sense but is still really random.

  17. Darren is very competitive when it comes to games and will trash talk even if he's never played the game before..

  18. I always want to be on Darren's team when we play trivia games because I hardly know anything about sports; however, I'm never on Darren's team when we play games because I want to win and make him lose.

  19. Darren isn't a singer (he'd totally admit it, too), but he is so competitive that he beat our friends at American Idol on the wii. Darren is the next American Idol.

  20. I hate to say it, but Darren is good at games and usually wins. Dang it.


  21. Darren knows very little about pop culture. I bet he wants to be on my team when we play trivia games specifically for this reason.

  22. Darren is open to see most movies, but I cannot for the life of me make him watch anything remotely based on a Jane Austen novel.

  23. Darren is thoughtful with gifts. He likes to choose things that remind the person of an inside joke. His downer of a wife helps him keep the gifts PG and away from middle school humor.

  24. Darren loves the temple.

  25. Darren can fall asleep faster than anyone I've ever known, except for his mom.

  26. Darren likes vegetables, but is wary of fruit, especially anything with fuzz or a pit.


  27. Darren loves peanut butter and chocolate chips with a big glass of milk.

  28. Darren has the touch when it comes to organizing and cleaning a room. No matter how hard I try, it still looks better when he does it.

  29. Darren likes to be out doing something, especially if it involves spending time with his brothers and/or good friends.


  30. Darren is a very loyal friend, and I'm a lucky girl to have him as a best friend.


No big plans for celebrating this momentous birthday. Personally, I'm glad to finally be married to someone in their 30's rather than their 20's. It makes me sound like less of a cougar.


I love you, Honey B! Happy Birthday.

17 comments:

wyomingerica said...

Happy BDay hope you have a great day, enjoy the game tonight!

Courtney said...

As a fellow cougar, I agree...but I still have two more birthdays before Jeremiah starts with a 3!!. Tell my birthday buddy Happy Birthday for me. We need to get together soon!

Courtney

Liz said...

It's good to hear from you after such a long blogging break!! Great list for such a lucky husband! Tell him Happy Birthday for me!

Anna Beal said...

Lets face it Brenda, you're still a cougar :) LOL!!! No, I actually don't know how old you are, I just thought that was funny of you to say. Happy Birhtday Darren from the Beals!

Jayne said...

What a cute birthday tribute! I wondered where blogging Bren disappeared to. Hope your life calms down soon!

Becky said...

That was so thoughtful and adorable. You really do know your husband well and there's lots of love there. I think in the Jane Austen movie dept. you need to just spring it on him. "Accidentally" put it in the machine while you were "meaning" to put in Lord of the Rings, "oops! this must be a preview, let's just watch it for a second..."

Kelli said...

Happy Birthday Darren! I was thrilled to know about the dogs in Sweet Home Alabama! Who knew? Darren did. One of my many dreams in life is to play games with you two. But not Trivial Pursuit because I have no talents in that game! PS I have missed you. I actually started to get worried about you.

Robin Fisher said...

I am so glad you blogged today!!! I was going to send you an email saying something like, "email me when you get around to blogging. I am sick of being disappointed!" :) I am so glad I didn't have to send the email!!! I hope you find your Non-Denver groove soon.
Finally, I am so glad you married Darren. He is a great husband to you and a brother to Mike and I. Happy Birthday, Darren!!!

Jacqui said...

Happy Birthday, Darren! I'm proud to be the last person in my twenties in our family. :)

I really loved the list, Brenny. That was totally fun.

LindsC said...

Happy Birthday Darren!! I like the 30 list!

Christi said...

Yea, Brenda! You're back! I've missed you. Fun list, I learned many things about Darren. Happy birthday Darren!

Carrie said...

I was glad to see another post from you!! Happy Birthday Darren!! HOpe you had a great day!

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Oh how I missed you! I hope to see you more as soon as you are able!

Happy Birthday Darren!

Oh and I am a cougar too! :)

Ruth said...

Happy Birthday Darren!! WE love you!! You are a very FUN and wonderful brother and brother-in-law!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

happy birthday to darren, ofcourse, but most of all, brenda, glad to have you back! you have been SERIOUSLY missed. :)

Bryce and Heather said...

As a fellow cougar--in both respects (go BYU!) I'm so glad to catch up on your life!! Happy Birthday Darren!! What a wonderful list, I need to be more like you!!!!

Michelle said...

This is Brandon...I am now feeling random because I too know of Bear Bryant.