Friday, July 11, 2008

It's Friday, I'm in Love

It seems like weeks since I've been in town on Friday. The funny thing is I've been camping both times I've missed a Friday. It's funny because Darren and I just haven't made taking off to sleep in a tent a priority in the last few years and all of a sudden BAM, twice in a row. Even if we don't get out much, we love camping. Fortunately, we have one more camping trip scheduled this summer -- this time with Darren's family. As with most married people, we find our families do things differently. Camping is one of those things. I personally like both ways, and I also think it is important for future generations to see and appreciate the differences. If you are sick of hearing about camping, come back next week. Today's Friday Five is a list of How the Rencher's Camp:

1. Out in the middle of nowhere. The Homestead is really isolated, and while there is a cabin at the Homestead with a ground water well and pump for running water, it isn't our family's cabin so we choose to pitch tents and unroll sleeping bags amist the trees. Because of the isolation, you can place your tent where ever you want.

Our favorite tent spot. No near neighbors to complain about our snoring in the morning.


The view from our tent. Priceless.

2. With a huge common area. This picture was actually taken after one of the car port tarps had been taken down. That's right, my parents set up THREE. It was where Jacqui is standing. We congregate in this area to make food, sit in the shade, play games, and chat.


3. With a washing station. My dad runs hoses from the water pump at the cabin to our campsite and sets up this washing station. When you camp, it is really nice to have a spot to wash hands, dishes, food, and babies.


You wouldn't know by looking at it, but this spot calls to 2 1/2 year olds...

4. With a place to shower. My dad also runs hoses from the water pump to a shower. The water is warmed by the hoses as they meander through the forest. I didn't take a picture of the shower set up because every time I remembered, someone was in there showering, and I'm not in to pervy pictures. The shower is similar to the one pictured below, but my parents rig up tarps for a changing area. The changing area comes complete with a wood pallet to stand on while you dry off and a stool to sit on to put shoes and socks back on. It is posh!

I think our camp shower seemed bigger.

5. With a lot of food. My family likes food. Does that surprise you considering how much I talk about food? The 'kitchen' area is where most of the magic happens. We use:


Two camp stoves that have 5 burners between them. Tons of coolers, that you can kind of see behind Robin (I hope it was okay that I snagged this pic, Jacq!)


Dutch ovens (various sizes) and cast iron pans -- here the dutch oven is being used to warm up some pulled pork.


A good size firepit and wood pile for fun and cooking. This pit was actually enlarged to handle cooking potatoes for 120 people.

This year I also noticed two shelving units in the 'kitchen' that I don't remember seeing before. My parents put just about everything on there, but what surprised me the most were the spices. We bring spices camping? Cool.

Mom and Dad Rencher really spoil us. Thanks again for everything last weekend!



Look how cute they are, even while camping!

Just thinking about camping makes me excited to go with the Caseys at the end of this month. I'm such a lucky girl!

Have a great weekend. Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

7 comments:

LindsC said...

What a fun camping trip! and beautiful pictures. We can't wait to go camping with the casey's either.

Trish said...

My family likes to camp in the middle of nowhere too. Food also seems to be a main focus. :o) I also really liked the fossil searching while camping. My dad always seemed to know where some pretty cool spots were. Does that make me nerdy? :o)

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Brett and I have the shower tent thingy too! I love it! I always complain about camping but once we get out there and everything is set up, I love it! It is so relaxing. Tonight we are taking a cue from the "other Allen's" and we are camping in our backyard! The kiddo's are way excited. It should be fun. Thanks for sharing your fun time!

Kelli said...

Camp Cliff is an amazing place. Especially the kitchen and what is created there. Great pictures. Great times. Great family.

Heidi said...

If you mention that pulled pork one more time without posting the recipe...! Argh! (Fist shaking!)

Ok, just kidding, I just keep smelling it. Mmm...

LKC said...

How do you get all the food, equipment, etc, up there? I'd love to know the logisitics. Also, give us some history of the homestead. Who's is it? How long has it been in the family? How did you get it? Does your family have a certain piece of land or does the extended family share it all?

Anna Beal said...

That is some serious camping!!! Looks like ALOT of work. I'm glad you had fun.