Friday, September 17, 2010

It's Friday, I'm in Love

So, I actually have a ton of things I should blog about. Like finishing the house painting, or the first Wyoming Cowboy game during Labor Day Weekend (HOLY SUITES BATMAN), or the myriad other things that are keeping my days chucky jammed full. Instead, today's Friday Five is about something truly important -- my list of new television shows I plan to check out for fall. Or in other words, my escape from reality. Here's the list:


  1. The Event. Mondays at 8:00 Mountain Time (MT) on NBC. Quick Synopsis: In looking into his fiance's disappearance a regular Joe stumbles into a conspiracy. Why I'm Tuning In: Jason Ritter. Seriously, I have a soft spot for John Ritter's son. I've liked most things he's been in and I want to see if this is any good. I'm not sure if a story of political intrigue will hold my attention, but if they go the spy direction I'm there.

  2. The Chase. Mondays at 9:00 MT on NBC. Quick Synopsis: A show about U.S. Marshals. Why I'm Tuning In: I love The Fugitive and enjoy In Plain Sight. I know this is slightly different, but I'm interested to see how many times I can yell, "Doctor Richard Kimball! I did no kill my wife!" before my family revolts.

  3. No Ordinary Family. Tuesdays at 7:00 MT on ABC. Quick Synopsis: Family's plan crashes into the Amazon River during a vacation to South America. They survive, return home, and find they have super powers. Why I'm Tuning In: Actually, this conflicts with Biggest Loser and Glee, so I will have to watch this one online. I'm not sure if that will happen, but I really want to see this show because THE FAMILY HAS SUPER POWERS! It is like The Incredibles. Dad has super strength (obviously, but still cool), mom has super speed (I so want that power. Think how fast I could clean!), teenage daughter has telepathy (she can hear others thoughts -- goodbye teenage self absorption. Brilliant), and teenage son is suddenly a genius.

  4. Outsourced. Thursdays at 8:30 MT on NBC. Quick Synopsis: American novelty catalogue company has been outsourced to India. Why I'm Tuning in: I totally missed the genius of Community until halfway through the season. I'm not doing that again. Also, my Thursdays are pretty booked, television-wise, so this just fit. And it does look funny.

  5. Body of Proof. Fridays at 8:00 MT on ABC. Quick Synopsis: A car accident leads a surgeon to become a medical examiner. There is a lot of other crazy things thrown in like repairing relationships with the living while building them with the dead. Why I'm Tuning In: I like shows with medical examiners (Bones, Rizzole & Isles, Crossing Jordan) because of the mystery and because people who work with death can be SO funny. The repairing relationships with the living couldn't interest me less.
Honorable 'Redo' Mention

Hawaii 5-0. Mondays at 9:00 MT on CBS. Quick Synopsis: Fighting crime in Hawaii. Why I'm Tuning In: Curiosity. I vaguely remember the old show and seem to think it was funny. May have been my childhood perception, but how could this new version NOT be funny with one of the Provo Twins from Oceans Eleven. The 'bikini to plot' ratio of the show might push this off the list pretty fast, but we'll see.

And yeah, there are a few other shows I want to check out, but it is among these I hope to find a gem. Keep in mind this is totally subjective to my taste. What about you guys? Any new shows on your radar?

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

8 comments:

Becca said...

Holy Smokes! I didn't know about any of these shows. I am going to have to check them out too! Thanks for doing all of the leg work for me :)

Robin Fisher said...

Brenny,
You are so random :) Thankgoodness for DVR--I love being able to fastforward thru the commercials.

Kelli said...

Wow! I bow to your superior research skills and your dogged determination to find us all the new gem of the year! What old shows are you keeping in your to do list? Inquiring (and lazy) minds want to know.

Christi said...

Tom keeps threatening to get rid of the satellite because we all waste too much time in front of the boob tube. (But, he's just like my dad...empty threats during football and basketball season.) I have to admit, I think I'd be okay with it. I think I can watch stuff on the net, or just wait until I'm a season behind, and rent. Anyway, until that actually becomes an issue-I love you're annual TV research blog! You're so fun. Maybe I'll try one or two of these. I'm a sucker for spy stuff, too. I don't know how you can try so many-I hate the disappointment that comes when a new show I like gets cancelled. (ie. Pushing Daisies-I think you recommended that one a few years ago; 10 Things I Hate About You-did you ever watch that one? I think that boy would be great as Gale...)

You should post about some of your favorite shows you are excited to see coming back this fall. :)

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Last weekend I took my tv guide magazine (the fall preview edition) and plotted out what I was going to watch this season. I didn't get my bathroom cleaned but I know what new shows I will be watching !

One you didn't mention that I am excited to see is Mike and Molly. Molly was Sookie on Gilmore Girls and I just love her! I used to be embarassed by how much I love tv but I have learned to embrace and stand proud! :)

terra said...

There are a few on your list I have thought of. There is one that I want to check out that has maura tierny from ER and rob morrowfrom numbers. Do you know what that one is called?
My life seems to be so busy theses days but I am hoping to find a couple of good ones myself. Didnt' seem like last year there was to many new good ones.
Can't wait to see you guys.

Jacqui said...

I swear I left a comment two days ago. Shoot!

Ok, those are not some I would have put on my list, but you usually have a good track record with picking good shows. I like the "Ordinary Family" one just because I loved the Incredibles movie. HOpefully it'll be good. I haven't heard when any of the returning shows will be aired. Can you do another post on those:) Please? :) In your spare time? :)

Bryce and Heather said...

Thank you for the surprise birthday call!!! I LOVED it!! You are so good to remember! I talked with Karen this morning--I figured you would be at work! So fun to hear your voice!! I miss you and love you! Keep blogging, you're the best!

heathercharles Woodfield