Friday, May 8, 2009

It's Friday, I'm in Love

"When I am in the country," he replied, "I never wish to leave it;and when I am in town it is pretty much the same. They have each their advantages, and I can be equally happy in either." --Mr. Bingley, Pride and Prejudice.

That is just how I feel. I live in between the city and the country -- suburbia, really, even though my town is surrounded by farms -- and I know Denver isn't as big a city as some, but it still has that city feel. I had to go downtown this morning, and the beautiful spring day in Denver reminded me of what I love about cities. Today's Friday Five are my favorite things about cities (not specifically Denver, because that list would be LONG). Here's the list:


  1. The tall buildings. Some people say it makes them feel small, but I personally like the feel of all that mass next to me. I also like the shadows they cast.

  2. Public transportation. I didn't have an extra minute to wait until a bus came by this bus stop, but you get the idea. Sometime in my life I'd like to live in a place where I can plan an 'errand route.' Also, sometimes it would be nice not to drive.

  3. So many people. I like crowds. In a city you don't necessarily have to say hello, smile, or make small talk. People are still friendly, they just live in their own world. In crowds, even if no one is talking, you can feel the stories in each of them. Do you think that is part of the energy you feel in a city?

  4. The new next to the old. I get a thrill seeing historic buildings next to bright shiny new buildings. It makes me think that people enjoy preserving history, and don't always want something new when the old stops working. Things can be fixed and not just thrown away.

  5. Men and women in business dress. I like that people still take time to dress nicely -- put on suits, nylons, and iron their clothes -- for work. For someone who wears jeans and (nice) tee shirts to work everyday, I appreciate when people dress nice for work. It's classy. I'm not saying where I work isn't classy, I'm just saying these people obviously don't play in dirt like I do.
Actually, I didn't see that many suits this morning, but it was a sunny day, there is a Rockies game this afternoon, and it's Friday. Now that I look at these pictures, there really aren't that many people in them, either. Huh.

Anyway, I'd like to do a 'what I love about the country' next week, but I'm not sure I will actually BE in the country in the next week, you know, since I live in suburbia. I should have Kiley do a guest Friday Five and just add a "Yeah, what she said," at the end. Have a good weekend!

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

5 comments:

Jacqui said...

Why were you in the city?

Was it really a week ago that I was there watching Castle? Sheesh, that flew by fast. I did catch last week's episode, though. Most of it anyway.

I love tall buildings. And Ilove public transportation. My appreciation grew in Venezuela, but it's nicer here because it's much MUCH cleaner. If I worked downtown I'd definitely take Light Rail into town. I hate traffic. Really. I HATE traffic. It makes me tense just thinking about having to sit in traffic

Kelli said...

I love the buildings and the transportation and the people and how they dress (most of them) but I don't like apartment dwelling. I don't think they have many rambler style homes in the cities. I hate for people to hear me yell at me kids....

Jacqui- You are such a Rencher!

LindsC said...

It can be a neat feeling to be in the city, but sometimes so many people makes me feel claustrophopic. I can handle it in small doses.

Ruth said...

Great post! I love tall buildings and the mirror look to all the glass windows!! I love the idea of a guest Friday five... too Funny!!

Wish we could have seen you two at Trevor’s graduation, but we are excited to see you this weekend for the baby blessing!!

--plenty coats

Kiley said...

I really am very glad that most people in this country like to live in the city. It gives me more room in the country.

The only thing I do like about the city is being anonymous. Out here everyone knows everything about you (even though the only time I see people who aren't members of my family is twice a week - at church and mutual).