Friday, April 8, 2011

It's Friday, I'm in Love

It does feel good to get back, but I can tell my writing chops are a bit rusty. Creak! It is Friday, right? I have my days mixed up a bit. Anywho, today's Friday Five are things that have been occupying us in the last few months: blessings, many many blessings. Here's the list:



  1. So yeah, the job. I started at the company four years ago when we first got the portfolio of projects, and I was there when the portfolio was handed off to another consultant. Looking back I can see how the opportunity and experience was exactly what our family needed. Knowing how hard it would be for me to let the job go, Heavenly Father helped make the decision fairly easy. Very interesting how Heavenly Father looks out for each of us. We are blessed.

  2. We got a computer for Christmas and let Big Miss get a Facebook account. This may not seem like big news, but I am not on Facebook and I had some serious internal fear of having her out on the net for all to see. Earlier on, this fear manifested itself in some passive aggressive behavior. We don't need to go into that. Interestingly, Facebook has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Yes, she puts everything out there for people to see, but then everyone reports back to me. I don't think she realizes how many parents she has out there. Also, it helped remind me that she is a good kid.

  3. We are remodeling our kitchen. It needed to be done, especially since everything is original to our 1984 house: the cupboards, the flooring, the appliances. Our tax refund is making it possible, which is a total blessing. We are doing everything ourselves so that helps the cost. Of course, that means it will take time. I think Darren thought I might need a project since I no longer have a job. Funny boy thinks I will suddenly have all this time. The cupboard clutter has slowly been driving me insane for years and was high on my list of things to do anyway, but is now on Darren's radar. There is a little sadness of remodeling the kitchen. I will miss the Lady Kenmore. Do they still make condiment doors?

  4. Speaking of tax refunds, while we were preparing our taxes, we realized I had been contributing to Health Savings Plan at work. I vaguely remember signing up. Hidden money is always a happy thing. With my job ending, and my relatively good health, Darren decided I needed Lasik eye surgery. We researched it a lot and finally found a place that would work. Last Friday I had it done and Holy Cow it is awesome! The pain was not. I had to have the surface treatment, not the flap treatment so I was laying around with a cold wet cloth over my eyes for a few days and wearing sunglasses in the house. Still a blessing now that my vision is clearing and I can see better than I can ever remember seeing. Little Miss has tried all the soothing measures -- the cool washcloth and the sunglasses. She is awesome.

  5. Best blessing of the last few months? My wonderful girls and loving husband. A home, food, and good health. What more can anyone ask for? Knock on wood. We are probably due for a trial right about now. Oh wait, Jacqui already moved to Austin... Doh!

I guess I had more the say than I thought. I hope you have a good weekend! Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

8 comments:

Jacqui said...

What the?!? you got LAsik? Why did you not tell me that? THat explains why you were wearing glasses watching tv in the last post. SEriously, Bren. I move a few measily states away and WHAM! I'm out of the loop.

Yeah for Friday Five! I've missed you, dear blog.

Jacqui said...

And PS. I am so glad you decided to quit your job. Being a mom is enough work.

Just a little reminder: You now have five (almost six) siblings and 7 neices/nephews in Texas. It might be time to schedule a tour of the state.

Jacqui said...

But I'm just sayin'...

Jacqui said...

Lady Kenmore Forever!

Shannon said...

I am so happy you are back! Please don't make me wait so long for another post!

Becca said...

Yeah!!! So glad you are back!!! You have been missed.

The Coolest Allen Family said...

I was just thinking about you today and thought I would check your blog. I was so happy to find you back here again; not that I can talk, I suck at blogging. Jacqui is totally right, being a mom is plenty of work. You will find your groove and wonder why you didn't do it sooner....then there will be days where you'll wonder why in the world you did. ha ha

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the gravitational pull to TEXAS should be pretty overwhelming right now :)
Cupboard Clutter--I wish I were there to help :)
And really, Lasik!?!?!? Now I am jealous. Mostly because having braces is like a 2 year treatment and Lasik is almost immediate. Congrats!
How are the birthday plans going?