Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Successful Day

I had a pretty good 'first' Mother's Day. The success of the day is mostly due to my sister Robin calling me to prepare me for the day. She gave me helpful advice such as, "Don't get your expectations too high for Mother's Day. Your children will still fight, you probably won't get to rest as much as you want, and you may end up crabbier than when you started."

I was very thankful for her call. Because of the warning, I had no expectations for Mother's Day whatsoever, and was thus surprised when I got gifts (jewelry picked out by my husband and the misses) and a little time to read by myself after church. We did dinner with some favorite friends, which made it feel like I didn't have to cook a whole meal for Mother's Day by myself. The boys did the dishes -- that TOTALLY wouldn't have happened at my house. I count the day a total success.

Why else was the day a success? Because I delivered my Mother's Day gifts to my mom and mother-in-law before the actual day. I caught my mom last weekend at Jacqui's, and Cathy stopped by with Curt and Brice on Saturday. I always get them the same thing -- hand soap from Bath and Body Works -- but they always seem pleased, so why stop a good thing?


Funny memory that I have to share. Saturday while shopping with the girls at the grocery store I made the mistake of asking the produce guy to direct me to the avocados. He walked me over there and proceeded to expound at length on the obvious greenness of their selection. I mean, he totally went off, loudly, and then directed me towards pre-made guacamole even though all I only wanted one to slice up for our salad.

This green. Maybe even greener. I know because I had plenty of time to look at them.

As we were walking away Little Miss, perched in the shopping cart seat, absently made this comment while looking over my shoulder at the retreating man: "He reminds me of Dorothy's friend who falls down all the time."

Big Miss and I exchanged puzzled looks.

"Dorothy? Do you mean he reminds you of the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz?"

"Yeah."

Awesome.

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

7 comments:

Christi said...

:) Ha-ha, too cute. I love Bath and Body Works-always good for a go-to gift. Glad you had a good Mother's Day, good advice from Robin. I'm pretty sure the BFF phone call topped the day for me. :)

Trish said...

Glad it was a good one for you too. I had no expectations either this year and it ended up being great. :o) The best part was Trevor getting up with Bryant the night before. It's amazing how solid sleep improved my outlook on the day!

LindsC said...

LOL! I love the Grocery store story once again. I'm also glad that you had a great mothers day, hey when the dishes get done and it isn't you that is always great!

Johnson Family said...

This year my girls tried to sneak into my room at 5 am to put their hand-made cards on my nightstand...they woke me up...but they meant well. ;)

Love the scarecrow story. Sounds like the guy not only looked like him... :)

Kelly and Kyla said...

Well, happy first mother's day to you!!! We know you are an awesome mom!

Anonymous said...

I can't stop laughing about the scarecrow. LOVE IT!! I am glad my advice was helpful. :)

Jacqui said...

Bahahaha, what a cutie!

I'm surprised you've shown her that movie. I haven't watched it with my boys yet b/c it still scares me to death. Monkeys. Shudder.

I love the soap and am glad that I reap the benefits of your charity on mother's day. Have I made my other sisters jealous yet?