- We went to Wyoming last weekend to visit family and attend a friend's birthday. We took zero pictures. Ruth and Steve let us stay at their new house with the great jack and jill bathroom. No pictures. The girls, Cathy and I took a walk down by the Green River on Saturday and spent time wading in the cold water, skipping rocks, and playing on the various playgrounds. I forgot my camera. No pictures. In the afternoon we went to dinner for Becca's 30th birthday and then swimming. Didn't grab the camera. No pictures. Later that evening we went bowling with Ruth, Steve, Curt, and Cathy and danced to the cosmic bowling music. No pictures. Sunday morning Ruth and Steve made waffles. No pictures. It was a fun tiring weekend. Too bad I did nothing to document it.
- How great was the Madonna themed Glee? Big Miss and I were discussing it (before we even watched it, mind you) and I went off on what an icon Madonna was and how many times she reinvented herself and totally stepped to the edge of sanity as an artist but never went over. I surprised myself with how long I blabbed about the topic. Big Miss's comment after the 'pushing sanity' rant was, "Sort of like Brittney?" *Sigh* I have so much to teach her.
- This is slightly embarrassing to admit, but I've been watching the first season of Roswell. You know, that old WB show from the early 2000's where three aliens are going to a New Mexico high school and the girl next door finds out. For some reason I always thought I would like it, even though I'm not much of a science fiction person. Who knows why. What I've found is the long looks between the teens and their slow, sleepy, blinking eyes amuses me. Amuses me, but does nothing to save the show. The dialogue isn't great, which I probably wouldn't have noticed 10 years ago. Veronica Mars has ruined me.
- It has been raining buckets the past few days which makes me want to cuddle on the couch and watch movies. Specifically Jane Austen movies. I'm thinking it is a subconscious rain = England thing. Yesterday I spent a good portion of the morning watching clips from the recent Masterpiece Classic Jane Austen movies. Yes, I did do some work. Sheesh. Anyway, I think it is time to set aside Roswell and drag out the BBC Pride and Prejudice for a bit.
- Big Miss is going to South Dakota this weekend with a friend and her mom to check out a school (no Melanie, not by Rapid City or I'd have them give you a call). She was so excited to go. She needed the break from us. Is that funny to say? Other foster parent's told us it was important to take a monthly 'break' and I don't think Darren and I took it seriously. After 9 months, we have realized it really does help every one's attitude if we spend time apart. To help us appreciate each other more, I guess.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
11 comments:
we had a lot of rain here too...until last night when it decided to snow. Maybe I need some Pride and Prejudice... Thanks for the suggestion. Wish we could watch it together.
jane is my favorite, hope you enjoy your quite weekend.
Wow, I think this is a first. No photos. Nuts-o.
I need a weekly break from my children, so I say don't wait for each month to roll around. But how fun for her to road trip a little.
You're not a hag, but I'm sure conference helped anyway. I need a dose or two, for sure.
Come visit soon!
ahh...tv, how glorious! made me smile to think of you curled up during the thunder.
No, I think both kids and parents need breaks from each other. Does it always happen? No...but we sure all get along better when it does. :o) I second the conference talks making me want to be nicer to my kids. Especially this time...or maybe those were the parts I needed to hear so they just really stood out to me. :o)
It's rather sobering when one starts talking TV, and realizes how much she watches. Some weeks are just like that. And, rainy days practically beg for cozying up with popcorn and a movie. Our weather has been great-and my DVR is full.
Have a great P&P weekend (I've found I can fast forward through a lot and watch it in a reasonable amount of time, if need be).
PS-while watching Glee I kept wondering if the younger generation watching even knew all the Madonna video references? I mean, how could they? MTV doesn't really play videos anymore, especially not old ones. And, seriously, if you were trying to explain to a teen the iconic nature of Madonna, are not all teens most likely unaware? All this time I thought I was a sneaky adult watching a teen tv show, but what if we are actually part of the target audience for Glee? Hmmm. Makes me feel less cool and hip. BTW, I find most everything about Madonna rather offensive...but she does have good songs.
Oh, that Glee was AWESOME!! We DVR everything in our house and come to find out, my husband watched Glee the night before I did!! I can't believe I got him hooked on that show! The best part of the episode was when Finn used two fingers on one hand to smooth out his eyebrows. How hilarious was that??
My sister and I used to watch Roswell back in the day. For some reason I only like the first season of a TON of shows and then I sort of fizzle out. Oh, well, we just end up buying the series on DVD anyway!!
Just remember, as far as breaks go, absence makes the heart grow fonder!! We've learned this from our bi-weekly one child weekends when Chase is with his father!!
For heavens sake remember the camera next time sheesh. Just teasing.
Enjoy your TV time. I know you don't watch it all the time. I totally pulled out P&P but then the boys started freaking out that it was raining and I was using the big TV to watch a girlie show.
Sigh.
I need daughters.
I have pictures of the Green River time, check out my blog. They're cute.
I have got stuck on Glee and the Madonna episode was great.
I agree that we need a little time apart. I started subbing again on brent's days off and I am much more pleasant to the kids when I can get out a little.
Still waiting...
Post a Comment