Monday, November 2, 2009

Recovering From the Sugar Coma

Darren was hunting with his brothers this weekend so I had the girls all to myself for Halloween. MOWAHAHAHAHA. I started by doing a movie night with Big Miss and showing her one of my favorite scary movies -- Deceived.


I hadn't seen it for years and didn't remember how psychologically scary it was. We had to pop in Clueless so we'd be able to sleep. I had also checked out Rear Window, but I couldn't convince her to watch it after Deceived. I'll try again on Friday the 13th this month -- it is one she can't miss.

Saturday we went to our ward's trunk or treat. They held it at a farm of a member of our ward. It was so cool. The activities committee has set the bar really high for next year. Here are a few of the activities:

Cupcake decorating in the barn

'Pumpkin Patch' after a short hayride (pulled by a HUGE John Deere tractor)

Face painting

We also roasted marshmallows, drank hot chocolate, ate popcorn, ate donuts on a string, climbed through a maze, and played a few other games. The trunk or treat was fun, too, because the cars were all in line in a field and you could just look down and see your kid running from car to car. Good times.

Here is Big Miss's costume. She dressed up as Hannah Montana. A lady in our ward furnished the clothes and shoes. I thought she looked great; however, the wig was itchy, so it didn't stay on long. I tried to get her to put the wig on her belt and tell people she was Miley Cyrus and that Hannah Montana was DEAD! I thought it would be funny to play up the whole multiple personality thing they have going.

In the evening I took Little Miss trick-or-treating around the neighborhood. Then we joined Big Miss at her high school where she was helping out with the treat street safe trick-or-treating night they put on. We did get a few kids stopping by our house when we got home. In between running to the door we put together a candy countdown to Christmas (thanks for the idea Heidi).

I hope you had a good weekend! I'm excited to see everyone's costumes. That is by far my favorite part of Halloween -- I know, I know you thought the candy was my favorite part. All the same, I'm counting on Little Miss not missing her Three Musketeers and Milk Duds...

Keep smiling and remember to be happy.

7 comments:

Ruth said...

AWESOME!! I love the costumes...how FUN!! Miss you guys TONS!!!!!!! We can't wait for Thanksgiving...and, YES, we are bringing Rock Band (in case you were wondering?) :)!!

--plenty coats

Trish said...

Looks like you guys had fun. I love the countdown to Christmas things. Hanni used to make those and I had forgotten all about them until I saw yours.

Christi said...

Hey I love that countdown idea...we are gonna do it!!! Looks like an awesome Halloween party. We do ours the activity night before Halloween, which means way too much candy!
I'm glad I got that license plate picture to you, it was perfect for Halloween. :)
I'll have to watch Deceived again-I barely remember it. Fun stuff.

Jacqui said...

I used to love Scary movies, but now I'm pretty sure it would just give me nightmares. SO I think I'm going to take back my request to borrow the movie. I spend too many evenings alone waiting for KRaig to get home from work. Maybe I shouldn't write that on a public blog.

I think Stacy's "Montana" is classic. and Autumn is a darling princess. I shouldn't have expected her to be anything BUT a pink princess.

Were there a lot of albino pumpkins at the Farm? I've never gotten one, but I saw SO many this year. I wonder why?

I've never seen the candy countdown to christmas before. It's a cute idea. Wait...maybe on one of your friend's blogs...anyway, Andy and Joshy's candy will disappear at the end of the week, excepting the few things that I still might want to eat AND the good pieces to use as rewards for doing chores. I have not problem throwing donated candy away.

Helen said...

I love the costumes, too, Bren. I have been so disappointed in the last few years what so few children trick or treat in the neighborhood so it was especially fun to go to Jacqui's ward's Trunk or Treat so I could see the costumes of the kids-big and little. I have never seen an albino pumpkin until this year. I was wondering if the meat is albino also--is it?

Helen said...

that not what -- acrylic nails strike again.

Heidi said...

Costume paradise is the Halloween parade at the kids's school! The teachers are the best! I'll have to share some of them with you.

And what was that movie you made us watch at your house for that YW Halloween party? All I remember is, it freaked me out! Not that that's terribly hard, but... what was it? Do you remember?