- I've realized, after looking back at historic posts, that I begin thinking about Christmas the week after Halloween. Poor Thanksgiving gets swept aside. Well, kind of, I just start thinking of our extended family gifts that early. Is my extended family hard to buy for? Will the package be in the mail by the beginning of December? Does that mean I never buy at the last minute? No, to all of those questions. It just means the stress starts early. Seriously, I'm looking for gift ideas.
- I'm gorging myself on Elizabeth Scott books right now (in my free time. HAH). I've read most of her lighter titles (Perfect You, Bloom, The Unwritten Rule, and Something, Maybe), but have decided to try a few of her more serious books (Stealing Heaven, Love You Hate You Miss You, and Living Dead Girl). She is becoming one of my favorite young adult contemporary authors -- right up there with Sarah Dessen. After reading some of her more 'serious works', I've realize I shouldn't have divided them up like that. Saying some of her books are 'lighter' makes them seem fluffy, and none of her books are fluffy. Look at me being all fan girl about it.
- So, do you want to hear about the biggest thing stressing me out right now about having a teenager? I know you are all dying to know, so here it is: her cell phone. We've had more discussions (*cough* arguments *cough*) about this device than we've ever had about schoolwork. Her stand: We are treating her like a kid every time she loses her phone because of poor grades. Our stand: She is still a kid and anyway she agreed to the cell phone rules. Unfortunately, I like the convenience of being in contact with her too much to simply get rid of the phone all together in an attempt to eliminate the stress. And yes, I realize a cell phone problem is trivial compared to what else I could stress about my teenage daughter. She really is such a good girl. I'm lucky. But man, if I hear the phrase, "You are treating me like a kid," one more time...
- I've been trying to listen to instrumental music at work. I finally realized anything with words distracted me too much, you know, trying to sing along and everything. Anywho, after spending almost a month with my Beethoven station on Pandora, I decided to try something more modern. Enter the Hans Zimmer Pandora Station Era. Hello favorite movie scores! Hello Danny Elfman, John Williams, Howard Shore, and Klaus Badelt! I think I'm in love. And okay it isn't as soothing as Beethoven, and sure, I keep flipping back to see what movie the music is from so it is still distracting, but if you were listening to the Jurassic Park score right now, like I am, you'd totally get it.
- I keep seeing these pictures as I look through my files. They make me laugh every time. I let Little Miss take pictures with my camera while we were at the temple. She must have asked her sister or Aunt Ruth to take her picture and then proceeded to do the most rocking cheerleader poses ever. Man, I love this little girl.


Have a rocking weekend.
Keep smiling and remember to be happy.
5 comments:
I'm all for getting some good christmas present ideas. I'm fresh out. I used them all up last year :)
LOVE. THOSE. PHOTOS. She's such a doll. When do we get so see you again?
I have missed a lot but I have loved catching up. You guys are such a beautiful family! Wow Halloween was a busy occassion this year.
I hope I gave you a few good ideas. I suppose I should call Fuzzy and let him know who's whose?
As for music, to change things up you might try, Lastfm.com then you can search Mozart or whomever and click to play that station and it will just play stuff like that. I usually only listen to it when I'm writing papers to help me focus.
I have no good ideas for Christmas this year...totally hear you on that one. I agree about Halloween (last post) too. It lasted FOREVER this year. I was more than ready to be done with the whole thing! Teenagers and cell phones freak me out. I was having a conversation about them with a couple moms who have younger teenagers. Seriously, even even if you trust your kid, can you trust what other kids are sending your kid!?! Also, I've been meaning to share this with you since just after we got back from Colorado. Guess what was waiting for me at the library? Mockingjay...Guess who requested it the week it came out? It's been one of the best things about small town living I've found so far. :o)
Post a Comment